Preparing for MR with chronic pain — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Preparing for MR with chronic pain

Tellurian1
Tellurian1 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
I've dealt with a chronic illness all my life - I thought that was tough sometimes but understanding the Benefits system is a minefield. I'm looking for information and support - and  people with a sense of humour! 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tellurian1, welcome to the community! It's great to have you here.

You may like to have a look through our PIP/DLA discussions, and please do let us know if you have any specific questions. We have many friendly community members who have been through or are going through the process themselves, who will do their best to help! 
  • Tellurian1
    Thank you Pippa - I am having a MR of my PIP after they cut it on the grounds I was working. If I can get the Enhanced Care reinstated, I'll get the SDA component of ESA. It's the annoying stuff like not being able to print out payslips and not being able to manage my time effectively due to fatigue and pain. 
    I actually do not know how I ever managed to work or what sort of jobs the JCP think I can actually apply for with any hope of securing and retaining.

You wouldn't flog your granny would you?

• Tellurian1
    It's more stick than carrot!

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tellurian1

Good Afternoon it’s great to meet you this afternoon.

Yes “Chronic Pain” is “tough/difficult” but by sticking together as “ONE” we can help/support each other.

Please please let me know if I can help you with your “Benefit’s”

I will do my best in helping/supporting you!!!!!
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear that @Tellurian1, I can empathise! Best of luck with your MR- if you haven't seen it already, you may like to check out Scope's guidance on DWP appeals.
  • Tellurian1
    @steve51 Nice to meet you too!

People in general, and benefit assessors, don't 'see 'chronic pain. They managed that time they had a bad back or whatever, so what are we moaning about? My nieghbours see me go to work everyday so they assume I'm well and fit to work - they have no clue about how much of the other 128 hours of the week is affected by working! 

• steve51
    Hi @Tellurian1

Thank you very much it’s great to meet you as well.

Yes it’s very very difficult to get every one to understand how it effects us every day/every minute of every day.

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help you with ??????

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Greetings Earthling, @Tellurian1, and very warm welcome to the community. it is very good to have you with us.
    Don't hesitate to ask us any questions or tell us anything that might help us to find ways of helping you.
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard
  • Tellurian1
    Hello @steve51 and @JennysDad - it's been an emotional  and exhausting week. I had an episode on Wednesday that really frightened me - even though the pain went eventually, the mental side effects are still there - the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak!

A big problem for me is asking for help - I never thought my condition was that bad! 

• steve51
    Hi @Tellurian1

I’m very very sorry to hear about your current situation!!!!!

Yes I’m the same I always strive to do things before I think.

There is a long list of things that make my Pain worse.

Please please let me know if I can ever help/support you with anything?????

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Tellurian1 and yes, I understand exactly what you mean about asking for help. An alternative view of asking, perhaps, is that to not ask is to deny someone an opportunity for doing what is right, and in a world where so many are busy doing wrong we all need to make the most of our opportunities.
    I vividly remember needing help, during my daughter's lifetime and afterwards, asking for it and finding there was none to be had, and that was truly awful.
    Were the Scope community not here to offer help, I would not have met so many fantastic people :smile:
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard
  • Tellurian1
    @JennysDad I like what you did there! It's true - I think of all the times I've offered to help and it's because I genuinely wanted to make that person's life a little easier even if it was something trivial. I have  got a wonderful little group of ex in laws who love me and would do anything for me.
    I've just been on the phone to one of my ex sisters in law - we've been close for years and I've been there for her through some really tough times. She even came and lived with me for a year after her breakdown. I can tell her that I've been in the same clothes since my attack on Wednesday without shame!! She's been there too! 

Baby steps tonight include taking a sleeping pill (they're no good in the packet are they?), having a bath, some clean jimmies and settling myself in bed for the night.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Tellurian,

The DWP can only cut your PIP if they think you needs have reduced, they cannot do it just because you are working. 
    I advise you to go through the PIP descriptors one by one and write a letter telling the DWP which descriptors and points apply to you and why.
    PIP is paid for the extra costs associated with illness/disability, it has nothing to do with whether you can work or not or what jobs you can do as work capability is considered under ESA.
    You mention if you get the ERDL components of PIP that will entitle you to the SDA component of ESA? If you mean SDP (severe disability premium) you will get this even if you are on the standard rate of daily living, as long as you live alone and don't have a carer claiming Carer's Allowance for you. The only additional amount on your ESA that the enhanced rate of PIP DL will give you that the standard rate won't give you is the EDP (enhanced disability premium) of £15.90 a week.
    My advice first of all is to focus on the points scoring descriptors that apply to you and fully explain in a letter why they apply. For variable conditions/effects, a descriptor counts if it applies to you for more than 50% of the time and again, a descriptor applies if you cannot do a certain activity safely, repeatedly, to an acceptable standard and in a reasonable time period.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Tellurian1
    Hi @BenefitsTrainingCo

The wording on the report is 'You said you have difficulties making budgeting decisions but are able to work in a warehouse inputting data, and there is no evidence of cognitive impairment so I decided you can make complex budgeting decisions unaided.' 

The inputting of data is merely scanning bar codes with an adapted hand piece - but it's a moot point anyway as I have been 'let go' for making too many mistakes and not keeping up. I've been so exhausted that I cannot be relied on to calculate and pay bills on time without penalty - and so depressed that I do care about deadlines or consequences. Depression and overuse of pain killers doesn't help - my memory is abysmal and I cannot even remember the outcome of conversations I've had or agreements I've made.

• Tellurian1
    * do not care about deadlines
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you Pippa - I am having a MR of my PIP after they cut it on the grounds I was working. If I can get the Enhanced Care reinstated, I'll get the SDA component of ESA. It's the annoying stuff like not being able to print out payslips and not being able to manage my time effectively due to fatigue and pain. 
    I actually do not know how I ever managed to work or what sort of jobs the JCP think I can actually apply for with any hope of securing and retaining.

You wouldn't flog your granny would you?

Yes, but I would have to dig her up first :)
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.