IP award length — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

IP award length

Yadnad
Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
Hi everyone. I wonder if some knowledgeable person can explain something for me.
Up until 2013 I had High Care/High Mobility DLA and had a Motability car. For the 18 years that I had that award I had no issues with the DWP. I had to make a claim for PIP (just missed the 65 deadline by 2 weeks!)  Made the claim and was awarded 0 mobility, standard care in Nov 2013 for 3 years (May 2016). Motability car went back. Had a MR and in March 2014 the revised award of enhance mobility & care was made. I got a new Motability car and was happy again. 

Then in April 2015 I had to make another new claim. Again I had the second face to face assessment which ended up with a decision in December 2015 of 0 mobility, standard care for 3 years (May 2018). The Motability car went back. Once again I had a MR and in April 2016 a revised award was made of enhanced mobility and care. I then got another new motability car.

In May 2017 I received a review form and for the third time had another face to face assessment. In November 2017 I had the decision letter giving me 0 mobility standard care. and the car went back. They accepted a late MR request from me in February 2018 and haven't heard a thing from them since.

I know they have to check people but surely not being of working age (which PIP was supposed to be for) but why do they issue such short awards?

My disabilities are permanent and couple are life limiting, have been proven time and time again. The GP has stated that there will be no improvement only a deterioration as the years go on. How do I get a decent length of award? As for motability cars it is extremely annoying as it is my lifeline. Thankfully I can borrow a car from time to time from a friend.

They are wearing me down.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Yadnad and welcome

The thing that is called for here is common sense, unfortunately a rare commodity in the DWP.
    Maybe it is time to get your local MP involved

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2018
    Do you think that he could do something?
    I just don't know what the criteria is to get a longer length of award. I can't keep doing this every two years till they carry me out in a coffin.
    I see people with 10 yr awards with Arthritis. I physically cannot walk more than a few steps as proven by my GP following extensive tests in the hospital spinal unit.
    I am under the Pain Clinic because of this  It was a sports injury that damaged my back years ago. CT & Xray all show the damage to the lower spine which is getting worse year on year. 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    It is certainly worth trying but it depends on your MP. If you tell them exactly as above they should see the toll it is on you and the waste of resources to the system

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.