Tribunal - driving — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tribunal - driving

Options
charlene
charlene Community member Posts: 555 Pioneering
not at Tribunal stage at present, but getting really worried concerning driving a car. I have read a number of times that driving can go against people.  I need a car to stop me being house bound and  only drive locally, hence my car is low mileage. Help.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Comments

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I was asked about driving at my tribunal hearing, I hadn’t driven for a few months before hand due to involuntary body movements. I told them that and when I did drive it was an automatic car. Also that a neurologist said it was ok to drive if I felt ok. 
    Saying that I can be ok one minute and not the next so I very rarely drive anymore, if I do I let someone know when I’m leaving and when I arrive at destination.

i do no want to cause or be in an accident.

my gp said if I feel ok then it’s fine but if your in any doubt I’d say ask your doctor 
  • susan48
    Options
    P.s
    i did not dispute 0 points for mobility but at tribunal I was awarded point and receiving mobility award
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    At my tribunal doc and judge thought that ability to do a lot of driving indicates strength and stamina so might mean my daily living difficulties aren't too bad.  I had to convince panel I make only a few short car journeys a week.  I was awarded enhanced both components.

I'd advise people not to drive themselves to tribunal but take a taxi if necessary.

If you only drive short distances this should not affect your chances of getting enhanced daily living.
  • charlene
    Options
    No I only drive locally.  I have even thought of reading. The mileage of my car and handing that in as evidence. 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If they ask you about your driving you cold tell them the annual mileage.
  • susan48
    Options
    @charlene,

your doing nothing wrong by driving, that’s why you have a mobility car.

im not being nasty to you, the opposite, I think your maybe overthinking the car situation, I know because I overthink all the time.

your car is your lifeline, they will know that when and if they ask you about it, they may not.

i drove today, first time in months, just 2 minutes away to the doctor. The reason was because the more I avoided driving the less confidence I had in doing it.

please don’t worry about it, if in doubt talk to you mental health team and gp

• charlene
    Options
    Never thought for a moment you were being anything but helpful Susan. It is just driving me nuts waiting for results and yes most probably over thing things.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HCP's and DM's often make assumpions with regard to driving and your abilities, These assumptions are even greater when you drive a manual car

Recently posted by esteemed member

There are no “trick” questions. Tribunals are usually listed 20 minutes apart so, apart from the appeal papers, they need questions which cut across lots of functions. So the car question is brilliant because it indicates grip; mobility; dexterity; the ability to do something repeatedly; concentration and stamina. Instead of thinking negatively about such stuff think about what they’re getting at and your answers will be much better and more detailed. Similar questions include whether you’ve been on holiday recently. It feeds into mobility (getting across an airport); stamina; the ability to cope alone; the need for aids and appliances.

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • sleepy1
    sleepy1 Community member Posts: 297 Pioneering
    Options
    I used my driving licence as photo Id at my assessment and was asked if anyone had spoke to me about revoking my licence to which I replied no but I no longer drive because I know its not safe.  No doctor has ever even asked if I have a licence.
    The decision maker has said there is no evidence of DVLA removing your licence for being at risk on the roads, and therefore removed my mobility component.

@charlene, I have thought about sending a copy of my last MOT document which shows the mileage and a photo of the mileage on the dashboard, trouble is I don't think that would prove anything as the dashboard shot wont show it is your car.  Best thing that springs to mind either take the car for another MOT so you have proof or get someone to testify the registration and miles done since last MOT.

Should not be an issue but it seems the I in PIP no longer stands for INDEPENDENCE !

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The ammount of mileage, condition or make of car has no relevance to the mobility component of PIP
    Your ability to drive, distance and frequency may lead to assumptions for the D/L component
    Don't over complicate things

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • charlene
    Options
    Sorry was it the DM at your assessment who took your mobility away?
  • sleepy1
    Options
    @charlene I am still waiting for the HCP report (asked 4 times now)  I think they took a copy of my driving licence and sent it to the DM along with their report.  The DM has changed the descriptors previously chosen......Whatever that means?  PIP ended both mobility and care.....another miracle cure!  Lewis Hamilton better watch out  B)

@CockneyRebel "may lead to assumptions" Lol.  You would think these days the legal system have moved on from the witch hunt days! 
  • susan48
    Options
    Nobody should every assume!!

what the phrase - never assume because it makes an ass of u and me  :/
  • sleepy1
    Options
    Susan Lol, Very amusing.........After Midnight U can SING  :p 

Brightness