Paper based assesment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Paper based assesment

baggsy26
baggsy26 Community member Posts: 39 Connected
edited April 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
can anyone tell me how long does a paper based assessment take they keep saying they are awaiting evidence from the GP surely the GP has a timescale for a reply 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi baggsy

GP's do not have a timescale to reply, many GP's are to busy to respond at all. Have you tried ringing your GP to see if they have received the request and/ or responded ?

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • baggsy26
    Thanks for the reply I will ring my GP tomorrow can they refuse to respond then if capita has requested medical evidence 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello baggsy26

When you say paper based assessment is your claim still being decided by PIP?

If you can speak to your GP to check if they have the medical report request and that they s/he will respond, ask them to contact you if they have any queries.  This is so a 'I don't know' answer can be avoided on the report.

Good luck

Maria
    The Benefits Training Co:

• baggsy26
    My sons been avin pip for three yrs and he’s on low on both and coz I see people better off than him getting high I have asked them to look at his claim again 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    hi baggsy

So have asked for a change of circumstance ?
    How long does your sons current award last ?

It is always a bad idea to make assumptions of another persons disability
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • AlexandriaUK
    AlexandriaUK Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    I agree, to know that someone else is possibly not as bad as you perceive them to be is something you cannot do without knowing their full medical background.
    I have friends who have chronic heart conditions and look absolutely great.
    Try to concentrate on your son's disabilities and I hope all goes well on your change of circumstances review, it has been known for some people to lose some of their benefits after doing this, it's also unusual for DWP to do the legwork as in applying for medical information from doctors etc.
    I hope your claim for your son goes well for him
  • baggsy26
    No worded that wrong sorry I actually know the person and their actual disabilities but was told by cab when I had my old forms back that I didn’t give them as much information and depth of my sons disabilities so was my fault for not filling forms out in detail in the first place and his last award was until 2021 
  • mayfair
    mayfair Community member Posts: 39 Connected
    My son had a paper based assessment it has taken near 11 weeks, they did contact all the medical professionals I put on the form and Capita waited over 4 weeks for a reply from them. 
  • baggsy26
    I’ve been waiting 9 weeks as of today so a bit of a wait yet then Mayfair thanks for the reply 
  • Missy2167
    Missy2167 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I'm on week 9 of my wait for capita to write a report. I sent in a letter from my psychiatrist, a letter from my CPN and they wrote out for a report from my GP.  My GP returned the report and Capita received it on the 23rd March 2018.  I asked how long it would take them to do the report and they keep insisting that there is no time scale for them to do a paper based assessment and they currently have a backlog.  Once the report is sent to DWP, it could take a further 4 weeks for them to make a decision.  I have Bi-Polar and I'm fully expecting them to turn my claim down, so I'm now doing research on the appeals process.  I am going to fight them every inch of the way.
  • baggsali
    baggsali Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    How did you get on with your pip application @Missy2167
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    baggsy26 said:
    told by cab when I had my old forms back that I didn’t give them as much information and depth of my sons disabilities so was my fault for not filling forms out in detail in the first place and his last award was until 2021 
    Did you fill out the initial forms yourself without help and assistance?
    And that the CAB are now suggesting that in doing so you did your son no favours?

If that is the case, then I can agree with their comments yet, my reply would have been along the lines of 'well what do you expect, you get a plumber for a leak, an electrician for a blown fusebox but for a DWP claim form you are expected to DIY'

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.