What can I claim? — Scope | Disability forum

What can I claim?

shihanone Member Posts: 1 Listener
I suffer from severe aritus. Cannot walk far due to COPS. so mainly bed ridden.I have carers who visit 3 x times a day. Joined to find out what I can claim for. I am on PIPS.  And Pension. But at a lower rate. Cannot get Mobilty on PIPS as the say I. Received my payment when I was 65 when 
I received Payment way before that. How do I get this reversed. Example I was done on points 1st time. Which lasted for 3 years. I am now 67. And on my 2nd payment of which lasted 3 years.  And this time I received enough points to get them full amount but was refused. Due to the above..  How do I speak. Thank you. And can in Aldi claim attendance allowance. 


  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shihanone, welcome to the community!

    I hope we can help. Just to clarify, are you still claiming PIP at the moment? If so, my understanding is that if your PIP was awarded before you turned 65, this is given instead of attendance allowance. @CockneyRebel, please could you confirm this? 

    However, you may like to check the online benefit calculator to check you're claiming all that you're entitled to. You may also be interested in this list of extra money and help PIP entitles you to.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,212 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi shihanone and welcome

    If you are in receipt of PIP when you turn 65 then the mobility element that you have at that time cannot be increased in the future.
    So if no mobility award was was in payment when you turned 65 then you cannot claim mobility at all.

    Daily Living is a different matter, as long as you had an award when you turned 65  this can be increased to enhanced rate as your needs change. You can either wait for your next review or if you have a new or worstened condition then you can put in a change of circumstance, this will then require a new assessment.

    Attendance allowance is for people over the age of 65 who do not have a PIP award, You can claim one or the other but not both. There is no mobility element with AA.

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.