How successful are MR? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How successful are MR?

louise91
louise91 Community member Posts: 37 Connected
As above; I have read through a lot on this forum and it appears most people on here have had to go to the appeal stage.  Are there any positive stories were people have been successful on their MR? Not feeling too hopeful :( 

Comments

• dottydotty
    dottydotty Community member Posts: 321 Pioneering

louise91  I am  awaiting MR  decision. Sent my MR request 15 January .  It is a stressful time waiting ,  I am not feeling too hopeful  but try to stay positive .

• louise91

louise91  I am  awaiting MR  decision. Sent my MR request 15 January .  It is a stressful time waiting ,  I am not feeling too hopeful  but try to stay positive .

Good luck with your MR, I hope you get the decision you are hoping for!!
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    I am not going for the MR. Everyone has reasons, but for me if I rock the boat they could reduce my mobility that I scored 12 on. 
    It's a short three year award and so I have to go through this process all over again anyway in two years time!
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • dottydotty
    dottydotty Community member Posts: 321 Pioneering
    mikehughescq   I invested possibly  too much in my MR  simply due to the fact that  in August I reach 65,  and will no longer qualify for Pip , unless my award is reinstated .  I think my age will go against my MR.  
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Well done @louise91,
    did you have help with the MR
  • louise91
    susan48 said:
    Well done @louise91,
    did you have help with the MR
    I done a letter for my mum myself and had a drs letter and one from CAB!
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    I've been through MR 7 times. I succeeded once.
  • WaterLily
    WaterLily Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    I was successful at MR as well. 
    Took 4 weeks (I think) from appeal to award. 
    Was dreading the tribunal stage which I thought I would definitely go through. I had read that so many were refused MR, that I was certain I would be too. 

Worked out ok in the end. 

• brentus
    brentus Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    Yes i have a positive story about MR. My first award 3 years ago i got the daily living stsndard component but not mobility. I asked for an MR and explained that yes i could walk but it was agony and although you have a distance to work from,does it not depend on the individuals resolve,pain threshold and even bravery. I said yes i walked 20ft or whatever they said but i was in agony,and pushed myself to do it. I said i could have just got a wheelchair and lessened the pain. In their MR he actually agreed and said yes the assesdor did notice you grimacing in pain so they awarded me the standard rate mobility as well. Not a massively positive story but a small win for common sense.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2018
    brentus said:
    I asked for an MR and explained that yes i could walk but it was agony and although you have a distance to work from,does it not depend on the individuals resolve,pain threshold and even bravery. 
    In one of my past PIP re-assessments I mentioned to the assessor quite innocently that I can and do walk at least once a week up to a mile to keep my joints from seizing up. I tried to explain that in walking that distance I have to stop upwards of 75 times for a short break and to get my breath back. the whole journey takes up to an hour or more. 
    Unfortunately because of my resolve, pain threshold and bravery the assessor stated that I can walk more than 200 metres without any difficulty!

It sometimes it isn't the best thing to be that honest or open.

• brentus
    brentus Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    I know,worked for me,not for you,its back to who assesses you and their perception of the evidence and their take on the scoring i suppose,one mans + is another mans - . Im naturally honest and open unfortunately, my appeal has just been accepted, i was honest and open,my doctors letter supports what ive told them,i can do no more,i won't lie,exaggerate or fake anything to win my appeal. If i lose I lose but at least theyll know i wasnt faking it like the assessor implied. Its an awful system,especially the MR,its like begging for what you think your entitled to,this is my first appeal and it will be my last,its not pleasant either. Good luck to all going through this at the moment,i wish none of us had to.
  • ash5896
    ash5896 Community member Posts: 141 Pioneering
    I was transferred from DLA to pip back in March. The assessment I would not wish on anyone and the report was just full of lies. I was awarded standard for both and I was on high on DLA. I put in for a MR and this was then changed to enhanced for both and the award increases from 2 to 3 years.
    i was not happy about the length of the award as my disability is for life and will get worse as times goes on. I was advised about the risk of going to appeal and that they could look at the whole award and I could lose everything. Today I ha e received a letter from DWP and they have changed the award to 10 years and there’s no need for a tribunal hearing now. 
    I took a lot of advice on from people here and I really was worried about th me whole process. I took every descriptor that I wasn’t awarded the correct points for and explained why it was wrong, how it affects me and really went into detail. 
    Yes it’s frightening and it’s given me the confidence to fight them again if I need to in the future. I think you shouldn’t be scared to ask for an MR and I k ow it’s easy to say now but I genuinely was scared and didn’t have much hope. If you read my previous posts you can see how terrible my assessment was and the way o was treated.
    Ash 
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Less than 20% of MRs go in the claimant's favour.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.