Any way to get a free scooter? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Any way to get a free scooter?

Options
jamesinited
jamesinited Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Iam lòoking for a free scooter can any body help please thank you 

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @jamesinited and welcome to the community.
    'Free' is very hard to find these days, I'm afraid. But if anybody can help they will need to know what kind of scooter you mean. Can you tell us?
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
  • jamesinited
    jamesinited Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank I am not to good on feet as have cope artheritus  had 4 heart attacks quadruple heart by pass as well 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @jamesinited
    There is some information about wheelchairs and scooters on the NHS

How to get an NHS wheelchair or scooter

NHS wheelchairs are available to people of all ages who have a long-term need for mobility help. However, your eligibility will be decided locally and can vary depending on where you live.

Some wheelchair services or local hospitals will also provide wheelchairs on loan in certain circumstances – for example, following surgery.

The NHS is unlikely to provide you with a mobility scooter.

NHS wheelchair services

Before you can get a wheelchair on the NHS, you'll have to have an assessment. This is done by the NHS wheelchair service, and will decide whether you're eligible for an NHS wheelchair and, if so, what type.

Assessments are usually carried out at the wheelchair service centre. You can have the assessment at home or at work, but you won't be able to see and try the full range of chairs available.

To get an NHS wheelchair assessment, ask your GP, hospital doctor, physiotherapist or occupational therapist to refer you to your local wheelchair service. Many wheelchair services have a waiting list for assessments, so expect it to take several weeks after being referred.

How to access a local physiotherapist.

How to get occupational therapy.

Seeing an Occupational therapist is a good start, another option would be to check if you can lease a scooter via the motability scheme. You'd need to be getting either DLA (disability living allowance) mobility component at the higher rate, or the enhanced motability component of PIP.

You pay for the lease of the scooter by giving Motability part of your mobility component (they state that most of their scooters cost less to lease than the value of the weekly component). There is a non-refundable payment for most leasing agreements which they state is £100.

You can find out more about the Motability scheme here.

I hope this helps :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Options

Hi @jamesinited.....some life insurance companies are known to give ex-gratia grants to reward long-term customers.  There is one in particular [I won't name it] who volunteered their service and helped me out with a £1000 award towards the cost of a mobility scooter.  May be worth your while to make enquiries of your life insurance policies.

Good luck. 

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Options

Hi @jamesinited

It is unlikely that you will qualify for a powered mobility aid via the NHS wheelchair clinic, unless they assess you as needing to use it both indoors and outdoors.

Some people who are on the appropriate qualifying benefit lease a scooter via the Motability Scheme https://www.motability.co.uk/cars-scooters-and-powerchairs/scooters-and-powered-wheelchairs-overview/

It is sometimes possible to get a grant towards the cost of buying a scooter from charitable funders. There is a grant search tool on the Scope website that may help you identify charities you could apply to: https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/search-grants

One charity that may be able to offer assistance is the Mobility Trust: https://mobilitytrust.org.uk

Hope this helps

Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• jacko2310
    jacko2310 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Hi in need of a powered scooter live high up also have bad heart and cops hope someone can help and I'm waiting for 2 knee replacements and I struggle to get out thanks

Brightness