Questions about Pip assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Questions about Pip assessment

scotti
scotti Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited April 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Thanks to everyone who replyed yesterday.still panicking about results. I did ask for a copy of asement .dwp said it was posted out on 10th April. still haven't received it. is this usial?

also yesterday I forgot to ask if during the face 2 face I became so distraught the lady cut it short. is that a good sign? also a lady who was a support worker who came with me and dwp agreed to pay a cab asked what I would have done if she didn't come what would I do. I said well i didn't have much Now choice. which is true they had to give me another appointment because my support worker coldest make the original appointment and they said i could only change it once. otherwise I would have lost my existing dla would that question go against me?

praps I'm looking to deeply into it. I'm as bad now if not worse when I had a breakdown in the interview. looking back I wish I had asked what she was going to recommend. never mind. should be enjoying the sunny day not Sat indoors worrying.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @scotti It is hard to say what the outcome will be and I know this is MUCH easier said than done, but you cant make any difference by worrying about it now.  Once you have your result, if it isnt what you were hoping for, we can offer support in appealing the decison.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi scotti

There is no more you can do now, we all wish we had done or said things differently but you did the best you could

Reports are sent second class like all DWP mail so 10 -12 days is not unusual and the decision should be 2-4 weeks

Let us know what happens, we will still be here for you

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • shazier
    shazier Community member Posts: 82 Pioneering
    @scotti. I hope all goes well for,my pip renewal form  is due shortly and had my ea letter review come a couple of days ago:( more stress. my concentration at the moment is terrible, i dont even know what day it is. easy for us to say try not to worry but its very difficult not to isnt it.
     good luck
  • shella
    shella Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
    I had mine on the 18th April and I kinda lost it I was not swearing or aggressive they kept asking the same question and it was irritating me I gave them the answer in a very sarcastic manor  looking each one of them in the eyes it went down hill from there I was in pain, tired and weak even my friend was surprised at the out bursts. I had had enough. when i left that room I was convinced I had lost the tribunal was nothing like i was lead to believe It was sugar coated. I got home and started to go through my out goings to see what I could cut out 3 days latter the letter arrived. I had won I wanted to cry but couldn't I was in to much shock.
    you never know its no use for me to say don't worry etcetera etcetera etcetera.
    it did not help me I wish you all the best   
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    I don’t think anything can prepare you for a tribunal unless you’v had experience, had one before. It’s very traumatic 
  • dianadee
    dianadee Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    I just got my pip letter back and I'm heartbroken they said I can't claim pip yet I have been epileptic for 34 years I have mini daily seizures and they said because I haven't had a major fit since October I'm ok how can I be ok and cope on my own if I'm having the small ones any help in appealing would help
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2018
    For those that have a mental health problem the way the assessment is structured is just as bad as a Tribunal hearing although I have never had the pleasure of the latter. Take someone with PTSD and because of how the PIP regulations apply, the poor claimant has to bare his soul and explain in great detail of his inabilities and why they exist. That's cruel. Done in the wrong way can send him/her over the edge. It did with me when talking to the psychologist I was whisked away in a taxi with my CPN and was locked up in psychiatric unit for a month.
    I have had mental health issues for the past 23 years and the last thing that I would want to happen is relive the horrors that exist in my head that left me with PTSD & a brain injury It is bad enough in a hospital setting never mind an inquisition when claiming a benefit.
    For that reason I did not mention any aspect of my mental health difficulties on my PIP claim or at the assessment. It was self preservation.
    I have worked hard on trying to come to terms with everything and had no intention of allowing the DWP or a Tribunal to undo the work, stress and pain that I have put myself through to satisfy them. I relied only on the physical points.

• dianadee
    They said because I walked in and communicated on the day I was ok but it would have been a different matter if I was having seizures so I can't see how they can just sit and say I'm well when they don't see on daily bases they saw me for 1 hour I take 11 tablets a day to control the big ones I want to appeal
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @dianadee

Have you asked DWP for a copy of the assessor's report and are you going to ask for a mandatory reconsideration (MR).
  • dianadee
    No I don't think so but they gave reasons why they said no and the reasons were terrible .the said because I walked into the office unaided and communicated but on good days I can I never stated I couldn't walk or communicate I have epilepsy and I have the small seizures regular and I wish I could turn them on and off so when I went in they could see them .I have some really bad days I don't go a week without a seizure so how can they deny me. I feel hurt and saddened by this decision 
  • dianadee
    I think it's the Mr I'm phoning about on Monday but wondered if anyone could give me guidance 
  • dianadee
    I do have small jerks which if continue and strengthen lead to large seizures 
  • dianadee
    Thank you you have helped a lot. I do need assistance as when I have the small seizures I cannot do things I can't cook clean or tidy as they become more frequent and lead to large seizures I need my carer and they are trying to get rid of my carer if I can't claim I can't go a couple of weeks without these episodes. I'm very worried about the decision of being turned down
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    I would NOT do the MR by phone. Do it in writing, so you say exactly what you want to say, and in the way you want to say it. I'd also ask for the assessor's report and wait until you get it.
  • shella
    shella Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
    hidianadee said:
    Thank you you have helped a lot. I do need assistance as when I have the small seizures I cannot do things I can't cook clean or tidy as they become more frequent and lead to large seizures I need my carer and they are trying to get rid of my carer if I can't claim I can't go a couple of weeks without these episodes. I'm very worried about the decision of being turned down
    I know a lot of people who did not get pip because of their epilepsy so i feel for you its like they don't see it as a disease. when you have a seizer are you coking have you face planted the floor have you fallen down the stairs when out does your seizure make you act out of place meaning not knowing danger when out when you are having seizers are you in any sort of danger. break it down piece by piece once you have done that do it again then you will see the dangers of your epilepsy
    like if you have one in the bath walking on the street are you likely to fall in the road. then you go onto how long it takes you to come round. and are you a danger to you and others. 
    The bath Scenario  having a bath/shower you would need someone  there waiting till you came or even to help  you bath when you where have a seizure.  
    you could say that it is dangerous for you to have a shower on your own
    hope you understand what I am saying

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.