PLANNING A HERB GARDEN PART 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PLANNING A HERB GARDEN PART 3

thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
Hello every body .  This is the third part of my project planning a herb garden.

This was the hardest part.  Being not very strong physically.  Have to organise a schedule so I could do the this part safely.  Being sometimes have fallen in the garden.  Few times.  Before.

So used the time carefully.  Need to dig up turf and it is heavy and also had to dig out weeds and roots.

Went out planned the size of the trench.  Not very big and said to myself take it easy.  Wet the soil easier to dig.

After five minutes stopped.  Every five minutes.  Then I did fall over got dizzy.  Am OK and knew to stop.  Had been going about ten minutes, went in rested . Had lunch and came back out.

Remember if you have problems digging . Slow and easy.  Have not much strength upper body.  So had to adjust.

All I planted were four plants but still was careful .  Bending down. Stopped if dizzy.

Watering done all that.  Make sure you do anything in the garden think of yourself.  Safety and always stop.

I explained in part one.  Make a garden adjust to suit your disability or illness.

Every thing is done.  Also this has given me an impetus to look at what else I can do. 

Looking at fruit bushes or other things to grow.

This will continue.

Thank you to @Sam_Scope plus my friend @Victoriad for ideas and suggestions and support.  Thank you for others for comments.
Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• SugarCoated
    SugarCoated Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
    Well done on achieving your garden, I always get my husband to weed the little area we have. He's not into gardening and we don't plant anything I'm afraid. I've always wanted fruit trees in my garden maybe we will get some patio ones that don't grow to big.
    Hope you didn't hurt yourself with the fall take care 
  • thespiceman
    Hello @SugarCoated Thank you for kind words.  Am OK thank you for asking.  Just have to be careful.  Also why am in to herbs. Small maintenance. Do not take up a lot of room.

As in tubs. Great for those who have disabilities like mine.  

You can buy fruit bushes.  Not very big.  Go into edges of garden or even in tubs.

Most garden centres have advisors on site and be glad to help.

Once you get sorted and remember it is helping you mentally.

As it is doing for me.

Hope you think about doing some thing.

The web is a source of advice as well.  For tools and gadgets to help you garden.

Just an idea.

Great to talk to you
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • SugarCoated
    SugarCoated Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
    Years ago I used to grow my own veg and herbs, I liked growing spinach and radishes. I have some seeds maybe I can grow some in window boxes will have to look it up on the Internet.  I have very nosey neighbours who like giving me advice on depression and how they never see me. 
  • thespiceman
    Hello @SugarCoated Please have a look.  My concern is your neighbours.  Why they giving advice on depression.

Do understand your situation with your neighbours  Have neighbours like yours.  Yes I in the end just you are important.  Why is it any body's business .  My neighbour had this and her partner.

Then a succession of female support workers came trotting to my door.  All blonde and looks to die for.  You can imagine there looks can you not.  They totally clueless and of course playing up as I do.  Make most of it.

Wondering what hell is going on.  Minds a racing as the their doors always open to see me say in a loud voice the doors on the left.

Right give me five minutes.

That sorted them out.  In the sense doors remained closed no more questions.  He her partner had the audacity to ask who this blonde was.  None of your business.    At the end of the day.  The house you have is a home. You should feel safe and happy.

Have a garden have enjoyment.  Understand this all the time.  Please get back to grow your own herbs and veg why not.  Loads of support here and encouragement.

I am one by the way.  Understand not easy. Struggle myself.

Main thing start slowly plant what you like. Do tubs like me. As I have been saying.

Please can advise and be there as a friend if you wish.

Understand depression and anxiety.  It effects everybody different, always remember that.

Since doing small steps can help. Your have great support already in your partner.

I am on my own and rely on this forum.

Lovely to meet you

Take care

The Spiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @thespiceman, I do hope your ok after your fall.
    Take it easy pleas but well done.

Brightness