Once 65 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Once 65

Carrie38
Carrie38 Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
What happens to pip once your 65 ?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Providing you're still eligible then you'll continue to claim it. You'll also continue to be re-assessed as before. Re-assessments will never stop regardless of age.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Carrie38
    So if reassessd over 65 you can still get it? Not for me I am younger it' a friend 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2018
    Yes, if you are reassessed over 65 you can still be awarded PIP and appeal if your award is lower than you expected.

The only problem lies with mobility over 65.  If you get lower mobility than you want and appeal doesn't increase it then you can never get a higher level of mobility than awarded by the tribunal.  Similarly, if you are awarded standard mobility after assessment and accept that, you cannot later apply for enhanced mobility even if your mobility gets worse.

If you are not already getting PIP or DLA at the time you pass 65 then you cannot apply for PIP, only for Attendance Allowance.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2018
    Matilda has it correct.
    My only objection with PIP is that it was aimed at those of working age. Yes I am aware that there had to be a cut off date somewhere, but why do the DWP continue to reassess people who are now up to the age of 70 in the same way as someone who is 30? 
    Surely common sense should be applied to someone who has already had at least one assessment and maybe three in the past five years that PIP has been around? What is the point when they have the evidence that the disabilities existed at 65 and then continue to reassess them until they die on a regular basis?
    Are they expecting those difficulties to disappear?
    Sorry I am just venting my frustration of this one size fits all if you are 17 or 87 policy.
  • Matilda
    Yes, it is unfair.  How are they going to reassess people with dementia?  However, Labour have said that if they win the next general election people with degenerative diseases who are in receipt of PIP will not have to be reassessed.
  • Carrie38
    I feel that with myself I have cp and it will not go away or get better I will die with it  but have to be looked at every few years 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Matilda
    That would be an unwise line of Labour to take if they want to win as there are a lot of baby boomers and they vote in large numbers.

However, the policy of not reassessing those with degenerative conditions would apply to all claimants, not just to the over-65s.
  • Yadnad
    The only argument that the government can use for those with a degenerative condition is not one that you would get better, but that in time, developments in medication may happen as well as the claimant finding alternative ways around the condition would/could remove the severity of the difficulties.

I actually have given the DWP this reasoning with my PIP claims. My DLA awards were based on both mental & physical conditions. I do have a mental health condition that creates difficulties, but I have managed to circumvent some/most of those difficulties as I need to live and not be a 'cabbage'. Because of what I have done it will be used against me. Secondly in 'protecting' myself I will not openly disclose any of my symptoms for the PIP system as I know full well that if I did so, an assessor would want to delve deep into the why's how's & whatfor's. This would have a serious affect on my stability.. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Carrie38
    I agree some conditions may  get Better with new medical Interventions in the future .

I have cerebral plasy and for my condition to improve it would of had to happen in childhood and for future people born with cp I hope there is a cure in the future .

I have arthritis and chronic pain also poor mobility.  I will not get better does not mean I have given up and don' push myself I do evey day just to get up and get dressed I rely on this Benifit for my daily life. 

I think people with chronic life long conditions should be looked at from time to time for example every 10 years or a case of contacting their Gp . But not more often than this. 
  • Yadnad
    Carrie38 said:
    I agree some conditions may  get Better with new medical Interventions in the future .

I have cerebral plasy and for my condition to improve it would of had to happen in childhood and for future people born with cp I hope there is a cure in the future .

I have arthritis and chronic pain also poor mobility.  I will not get better does not mean I have given up and don' push myself I do evey day just to get up and get dressed I rely on this Benifit for my daily life. 

I think people with chronic life long conditions should be looked at from time to time for example every 10 years or a case of contacting their Gp . But not more often than this. 

I agree entirely with you. I too have several long term chronic conditions but the DWP seem to consider them as trivial - take  one of them - Chronic Pancreatitis, which has caused a large aneurism in the wall of my oesophagus. Just with that condition I am permanently in pain. Either it will turn into Pancreatic Cancer or the aneurism will burst. Either way I am a gonner.
    I was informed that for that condition it is similar to constipation!!!

I am 70 and over the past 5 years I have had three face to face assessments for PIP. I get 3 year awards, reviewed every two years ( 2013, 2015, 2017).

So yes a 10 year award will be most welcome.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.