just a thought — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

just a thought

SugarCoated
SugarCoated Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
I know from reading on here that we cant record the assessments without permission and the right equipment. but what if the person that went in with you makes a written note of questions asked and answers given. or what kind of physical was undertaken and how you responded, i forget stuff really easily an wouldnt remember stuff especially due to my anxiety. maybe this would help when looking back at the report, im thinking of going ahead and applying for pip, and was thinking if this was advisable

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    All pip acessments are to be recorded in the near future so hopefully you will not need to make notes. Good luck.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    wilko said:
    All pip acessments are to be recorded in the near future so hopefully you will not need to make notes. Good luck.
    Are they, that's news to me although I know that the latest committee report does say that automatic recording should happen. As far as I am aware the DWP now have to reply to that suggestion which at best will be that they may want to set up a consultation period to see if the recording of assessments will make any real difference to the outcome.
    If you are aware of anything different could you let me know please.
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    I thought they were thinking of recording and video recording. 
    It's a shame they feel this is necessary, training the assessors not to lie would be a better option- for those who do.
    Saying that they are dealing with vulnerable people who might have memory issues, get confused, it might actually show the claimant had made a mistake in what they thought they had said. 

I had an honest assessor and I don't think I am in the minority. It's just we hear problems here more than good outcome.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    whistles said:
    I had an honest assessor and I don't think I am in the minority. It's just we hear problems here more than good outcome.
    I have had three face to face assessments for PIP in the past 5 years. ALL of them were carried out in a superficial manner, never getting to the point of anything with assessor who forcibly used closed questions that only required a yes/no answer. If when attempting to add more to the answer I found that I was already being asked the next question. It all appeared to be a race to the end. 
    As for what was written in the reports, all three were clearly 'cut and paste' statements. In fact the first report in 2013 contained 14 'one liners' that justified why I do not suffer from any form of mental illness! Such as, not shaking, not sweating, not rocking, had eye contact etc etc .

After that I knew that I could never win over the mental health issues, so for the following two re-assessments I made no reference to any mental health problems and the difficulties I face. I concentrated only on the physical issues.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.