Tribunal appeal lost, should I apply for statement of reasons? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tribunal appeal lost, should I apply for statement of reasons?

Michael66
Michael66 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
If after mandatory  reconstruction  of esa (WCA)Then independent court Tribunal appeal lost. It goes  on to say if you think the Tribunal has made error of law You can apply in writing for a statement of reasons for the Tribunals  decision. 
My question - is there any point??
will i get anywhere  doing this.

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm just going to say 'hello' Michael @Michael66 and a warm welcome to the community. Your question I will have to leave to others who know more about it, but we have some excellent people here and I know they will get back to you.
    Tagging @CockneyRebel who will at least know to whom to direct you.
    Warmest best wishesl
    Richard

• Michael66
    Hi JennysDad 
    Thanks for the hello sorry didn't  see your message.
    Trying  to find my way aroud on here.
  • evadesign
    evadesign Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Hi. I believe you have to have a clear case but Citizen’s Advice will be able to help. I know they occasionally support these things. It’s always worth it if they have made an error. Good luck. 
  • Michael66
    Hi evadesign

To be honest found CAB no help.
    So was hoping  others on here who may have been in the same situation may have advice. Or any legal knowledgeable  folk are out there may know what's  what.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi Michael66

Do have a read of the information on our website about the Upper Tribunal. It will provide some information but also highlight that this is a complex area. 

https://www.scope.org.uk/Support/Disabled-people/benefits/DWP-benefits-appeals/Upper-Tribunal

Best wishes

Gill_Scope
  • Michael66
    Hi lillybelle
    Have no idea as was told my area is now universal  credit  so have now had to make a claim for that & its a nightmare  so far.
    So many hoops to jump through  that seem to be in place in order to make your life as difficult  as possible. I think in order to sanction you in order to end your claim and make you destitute. Regardless  your  condition is made worse with all the added stress.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi Michael66

Right, I see.

You won't get paid any ESA whilst you appeal to the Upper Tribunal, so you've done the right thing in making the Universal Credit claim. It can't hurt to ask for a statement of reasons, you can decide whether or not to pursue it when you've seen what it says. 

Meanwhile, if you are running out of money, this might be a time to ask your local food bank for some help with essentials. If your council runs a "local welfare provision" scheme (not every council has such a scheme, it's the replacement for the DWP's social fund which is being wound down, and it's not mandatory for councils to have a scheme), they sometimes offer help with gas and electricity costs in these circumstances.

There's a charity called www.glasspool.org.uk who can sometimes help too. 
    http://www.glasspool.org.uk/grants/grants

You can also ask for a short term advance of your universal credit - this has to be repaid, but gradually, out of the payments that you will start to get at the end of the initial calendar month plus a week. 

Good luck, I hope that your universal credit get paid soon and that one or two ofthe ideas above are useful. 

Best wishes

Gill_Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.