Benefits advice when kids leave education — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits advice when kids leave education

hil1302
hil1302 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I am confused about things when children leave education and have huge problems trying to get my head around housing benefit, tax credits etc

Comments

• gnmeads
    gnmeads Community member Posts: 187 Pioneering
    Hi hil1302
    Welcome to the Scope community.
    Can I ask first what exactly confuses you about benefits? 
    I find the best way to go about it is to put in your claim for whatever benefit your interested in, fill in the form and see what happens.At the end of the day you can't lose by doing this. Do a search on the benefit you want and take it from there. Most forms are done online now so it's just a case of sitting at your computer. 

Please feel free to ask any more questions if you wish
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    My son is in further education past two years after leaving school. We got help from the councils youth advisory team who have been fantastic. As long as he is in further education we can still get help with certain things like child benefit. It depends what your child is planning on doing after leaving school. I would recommend you contact your local council and ask about youth advice and make an appointment with money advice team. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    When your children finish full time education your child benefit and tax credits you receive for them will stop completely. Any housing benefit you claim could also be affected, depending on whether your children start work or remain a student.

Do you receive DLA/PIP?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • hil1302
    No I don't but do receive disability element of tax credits which is because I was off work 5 years with depression and anxiety 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    hil1302 said:
    No I don't but do receive disability element of tax credits which is because I was off work 5 years with depression and anxiety 
    As you don't receive PIP or DLA then once your children leave education, if they start working then this will affect any housing benefit you can claim. This link will tell you more. Any changes in circumstances must be reported.
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/housing_benefit/housing_benefit_deductions_when_living_with_non-dependants

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • hil1302

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.