ESA v Pension credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA v Pension credit

Options
themajor2
themajor2 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everybody.. I need some advice.. I just got a letter from Jobcentreplus giving me the option of changing my benefit from ESA {awaiting assessmet} to Pension Credit as I will be the minimum state pensionable age on jULY 18th 2018  What is the difference between the two in terms of what I receive in benefits v pension?... I will be getting minumum state pension because I am missing many NI contributions.. Thank you in advance

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There is a pension credit calculator here that might help?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi themajor2

I agree with Sam.  Try doing a benefits check with a small lie in there - tell the benefits check that you are 65 today and see what the result is.

My guess would be that your entitlement to pension credit  might be the same as your current entitlement to ESA. At the moment, probably, you are already pension credit age, so your ESA should have an addition included in the calculation to make your benefit income up to the amount you would get on pension credit.

The advantage of having received ESA up until July is that you will have had some national insurance credits added to your national insurance account, so that this should have added to the number of years on which your state pension from later this year will be calculated.

If you see what I mean.

Complicated!

Please let me know if this is right or not.

Best wishes

Gill_Scope
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi

Have got a state pension forecast?

If not, you should get one.

This will show how many years contributions you have.

There has been changes to state pension contributions that improve the position like yours.  You need expert advice, Age UK have a free helpline and have local advisors to help you.

Please seek their help.

Come back if you need anymore assistance, it can become complicated.

Best wishes.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.