Dentist — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dentist

Options
janejr
janejr Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
Hi I'm on ESA and higher rate on both PIP do I pay for dentist treatment or can I use NHS. Haven't been dentist for a good while so I'm unsure

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi janejr

For free NHS treatments you need to have an IR element to your ESA. PIP does not entitle you to this
    If you are on a low income then you can apply for an HC2 cert

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-low-income-scheme/hc2-certificates-full-help-health-costs

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Dennis1960
    Dennis1960 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    janejr said:
    Hi I'm on ESA and higher rate on both PIP do I pay for dentist treatment or can I use NHS. Haven't been dentist for a good while so I'm unsure
    Hi Janejr i claim esa and pip and have to pay for everything,ask them if they have put you into a support group ,if not you should be able to get help with costs. Good luck.

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    janejr said:
    Hi Janejr i claim esa and pip and have to pay for everything,ask them if they have put you into a support group ,if not you should be able to get help with costs. Good luck.

Support Group is not relevant to NHS treatment only an IR element will give free access

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello all, if you want clarification of if you are entitled to free NHS dentistry ring the DWP and they will give you comfirmation and sent a letter stating which group you are in. There will be no mention of free dental treatment you show the letter to your dentist also your wife partner is also covered so ask when you ring DWP have yours and your wife's NI numbers to hand. I rang got my letter 3days later I was already getting free treatment so checked for my wife and she was listed on the letter.
  • mendipmark
    mendipmark Community member Posts: 22 Courageous
    Options
    It depends on whether you are on contribution based esa or income based esa? If you have been put in a group or been on esa for more than 6 months you are likely to qualify. The difference is you automatically qualify if you do not have ni contributions paying your esa. If you have got ni contributions justifying the esa fill out a form to access free health on a low income and then you get a certificate to justify free health on that basis instead. Google getting free nhs healthcare for help. The dentist or dr may have the low income forms.
  • cornishmaid
    cornishmaid Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
    Options
    And if you havent been to a dentist for a while, you may struggle to find an NHS dentist that will take you on.  I had to use the emergency dentist at a local hospital when I had problems but they will only see you if your in dire pain, swelling or bleeding.  I think its a bit of a post code lottery

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.