Entitlement advice? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Entitlement advice?

tommy2k17
tommy2k17 Community member Posts: 28 Connected
edited April 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I got my form about PIP last week. I cannot prepare food for myself, can only walk short distances at a time, have epilepsy so I get tired (one of the side effects). Any advice for other people in the same situation?

Comments

• whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2018
    I actually thought that regardless of your condition it's how you are effected by the descriptors you are asked about. 

If the op cannot prepare food, why can they not prepare food, what happens if they did, what help do they receive if any. Can they use a microwave as oppose to the cooker. I can use the microwave and it was accepted cooking would be unsafe other than this.

Tiredness would need proving as a side effect of the medication and condition wouldn't it?
    My memory issues were dismissed as a side effect of the medication. 
    However I was told I had insight so could do things to help myself. 
    My day is effected with those descriptors they asked about, nobody said I was stupid and my brain didn't work at all. 
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
  • tommy2k17
    Thankyou.
    However, I have seen a few TV programmes about people that really need PIP not getting it!
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Be positive.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @tommy2k17

Disability Rights UK site has a good guide to all stages of PIP.  And try to get some f2f advice from CAB or similar.

Disability Rights has a draft diary you can adapt.  Include a 7 day diary with your PIP form.  And list all the aids you use.  Using aids should get you some points especially if you struggle even using aids.

The 50% rule means that your disabilities must be bad enough to qualify for points on at least 4 days out of 7.
  • tommy2k17
    Thankyou for all of your advice. I have until May 9 to send it back so not long!
  • tommy2k17
    I study with the Open University, and have to have study support, I have just found a pyschological report written up from Kent Assessors that outline some of what PIP wants.
  • Matilda
    At my assessment the assessor was only interested in how many bad days I had a week.  The assessor wanted to keep things simple - as did the tribunal panel.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2018
    @lillybelle

It is also terrible advice to not write paragraphs on the claim pack. That is your main document and it needs to be completed in full. The most common discussion at appeal tribunals is “Well if you’re now saying that x is true why wasn’t it put in the claim pack?”
    I'm not saying that you are wrong but I was told many moons ago - back in 2013 when I was being transferred over from DLA, that completing the PIP2 form was not the be all and end all of making a claim. I was informed when I telephoned them for advice (by a local disability charity who now no longer exist) that putting endless statements for each descriptor was a waste of time as the DWP disregard what you claim and place more emphasis on what the assessor writes - presumably because the claimant could put anything down in order to bolster their overstated claim.
    Further, the time to give facts is at a Tribunal.
    I can see why you say that but surely the same would go for someone that believes that they don't have any problems but in reality they do - in their case it would be said to a an understated application - just the same as someone that doesn't fill in all of the blank boxes?

Do I actually trust an assessor to do their job correctly - no from experience. And do I trust the DWP decision maker to determine what is and what isn't an 'understated' claim - no, based on experience when following a MR they eventually change the award dramatically to what I was awarded in the previous years. If it takes 2 and sometimes 3 goes at getting it right is that my fault for not filling out any of the additional boxes or the DWP in not doing their job properly?

I would add that for my first two claims both ended up with enhanced care & mobility following a MR. No further evidence was given by me. I just pointed out the total inaccuracies within  the assessor's report and the evidence I had sent in when returning the claim form. The third I am waiting for a MR ruling.

• tommy2k17
  • Matilda
    Mandatory reconsideration  - first stage of appeal.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks Mike, I do totally respect your opinions and I believe I have seen some of your work on Rightsnet?
    Of course there has to be credibility when producing or giving evidence to a Tribunal. I was just likening not filling in the boxes on the PIP2 and those that don't really put much information on it at all simply because they actually believe that there isn't a problem with their life despite all of their family saying there is.

Yes one was. I was 65 just a few weeks after the cut off date so had to go down the PIP route in 2013. Then I had another re-assessment in 2015 and a review just before Christmas 2017.
    Both the 2013 and 2015 decisions were reversed following a MR back up to enhanced for care & mobility. I was given three year awards each time.
    Previously I had been on DLA High Mobility & Care since the mid 90's.
  • tommy2k17
    I have been asked to go for another assessment for PIP, as they said they didn't have enough information! Has anyone els had to go for a reassessment?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.