Cerebral palsy and spina bifida - turned down for PIP — Scope | Disability forum

Cerebral palsy and spina bifida - turned down for PIP

Lucysam25 Member Posts: 35 Connected
edited April 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I recently  filled  in the form for pip  I was getting  D L A  for the last twenty years I got a letter  saying  I was turned  down i have cerebral palysa  also spinabifida  p s sorry can't  spell it think it is not right 


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,674 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lucysam25
    Im sorry to hear this, we have a lot of members who have been in the same position as you and we understand how stressful and upsetting this is.

    You can appeal this decision and this is how.

    Step 1 is asking for a Mandatory Reconsideration
    • Ask DWP to look at the decision again – this is called a mandatory reconsideration.
    • It's best to do this in writing and give reasons why you disagree. The address to write to is on the decision letter you have received.
    • You must do this within a month of the date of the original decision.

    DWP will look at your claim and tell you their new decision.

    • You have a month to ask for an appeal if you are still unhappy.
    • This must be in writing and it's best to appeal using form SSCS1 (pdf download). Download the pdf of guidance notes to help you.
    • You must state your reason for the appeal clearly and forward any supporting evidence as soon as possible – do not wait for the hearing.

    If you need advice on completing this you may call HMCTS on 0300 123 1142.

    You can download Form SSCS1 (pdf)  or get a paper copy from your local Citizen's Advice Bureau and Jobcentre Plus office.

    You must complete sections 1, 2, 5, 6 and 8. Use black ink and block capitals.

    Section 5 is where you must state your reasons for your appeal. You must write down the reasons why you think the decision is wrong. Your reasons do not have to be lengthy or written in legal language, but you need to say more than just 'I disagree'. Explain simply why you think the decision is incorrect and what you believe the correct decision should be.

    Send your appeal to HM Courts and Tribunals Service. If you live in England or Wales you should send your appeal to:

    HMCTS SSCS Appeals Centre
    PO Box 1203
    BD1 9WP

    Telephone: 0300 123 1142

    Don't forget to sign the form and enclose your mandatory reconsideration decision letter.

    Senior online community officer


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.