Form filling by doctor — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Form filling by doctor

Teresa_1
Teresa_1 Community member Posts: 18 Courageous
edited April 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My GP asked for a form to be sent for him to fill in.I asked DWP to send him one for PIP,but he heard nothing.Are they not obliged to send if requested?And who would be responsible for sending it out please?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
  • Teresa_1
    Thank you,sadly the time has passed,as this was for a previous assessment,but just needed to know for future
  • Teresa_1
    No,mine wouldn't write a letter,but said to ask DWP to send them a form,then they'd fill it in and return it
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    It's VERY rare for DWP to contact anyone for medical evidence. It's the claimants responsibility and always has been to make sure they send evidence to support their claim, whether it's PIP or ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    I didn't ask my gp to send a letter. I sent evidence that confirmed my diagnosis and a recent copy of my meds.
    The gp doesn't know my day to day at home life, they only know snippets when my condition itself puts me in touch with them via phone, letter or visit.

On the one hand dwp tell you not to send anything you don't have, not to pay for it.
    But on the other they want the WHY evidence to back up the WHAT your saying.

Since pip and over the MR timeframe my gp has diagnosed something new which would now be a WHY. 
    It's in my notes but if the dwp don't ask for it and I'm told not to pay for it- its kinda stuck in the notes unless I go on meds or receive outside help!
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • [Deleted User]
  • whistles
    Question 2 asks about your condition / disability and when it started. I can't imagine the cpn leaving that blank.

Perhaps being a new claimant is slightly easier in terms of acceptance? 
    For those of us being dumped after being on DLA, maybe it's not so easy. I didn't have time to prepare a diary because it took them three years to get round to moving me over. They gave me two weeks to do the forms as they plonked on the mat at Christmas.

There will be people who no longer qualify, I'm one of them. But everyone expects to just move across and be on the same money. 

• [Deleted User]
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Victoriad said:

I never put myself forward for PiP either it was the CPN who suggested it and now the psychiatrist has even signed a form for me to get reduced council tax....they are falling over themselves in comparison, to the first psychiatrist I was allocated.

I can relate to your story. I too had a fantastic psychiatrist at the time before he moved on as well as a good CPN.
    Like you I knew nothing about benefits back in 1995. It took me all of my time to get through each day never mind make benefit claims. It was my CPN that said that I needed help to get some financial support for my family. She completed the DLA forms  along with an advisor from the CAB who was based in the hospital. The psychiatrist completed a report and everything went off to the DWP. Within weeks I had a letter telling me that the award was High Mobility & Care indefinitely.
    And that was it. It only changed and the problems started when just following my 65th birthday I was to be moved over to PIP.
    Unfortunately after those 18 years on DLA I had detached myself from the mental health service - there was only so much I could stand of the endless visits to hospital, hours and hours of counselling and being treated like a guinea pig with different drugs and quantities of them.

Now all of that has disappeared, the mental health unit has closed down.
  • whistles
    Victoriad said:
    Apologies everyone....looked at @whistles post and then looked at the photos taken on tablet if the application form.

Yes indeed Q2 does ask what conditions you have...I have one condition and that’s the only time I mentioned it ,on the form.

Yes I think being a new claimant is easier in terms of acceptance because it asks how you your condition affects you.

Nor did I have a diary ....

Im curious.......is there a huge difference in the amount of money awarded for the disability allowance compared to PiP.

I never had dla.....was not in a good place at the time, to make a claim or capable to make a claim.

I wonder if not making a dla claim ,despite being ill for several years ,with well documented sections in a mental ward ,under the continual care if the psychiatric services has somehow made the assessors think that I am making light of the seriousness of my conditions.

My award letter did say that my difficulties were consistent with the medical evidence available to them ( perhaps psychiatrist has been contacted by DWP too?)

Which in turn is making them “accept”, that what little I do say now, (seeing I did not push myself forward for benefit, that I should have had previously) on the application, gets the DWP to seek direct confirmation from the psychiatric services.

Orher applicants in the forum seem to be producing screeds of written evidence from various sources and  being made to jump through loads of hoops.

I just don’t get it?

I never put myself forward for PiP either it was the CPN who suggested it and now the psychiatrist has even signed a form for me to get reduced council tax....they are falling over themselves in comparison, to the first psychiatrist I was allocated.

The dwp won't know about what you didn't apply for and why, that requires thought.  :)
    My old forms carry no weight for pip, they are out of date.
    I do feel its a lottery and maybe even based on where you live and who you see?
    But the questions were different and as I said I did qualify, I don't now.

My gp is brilliant. I don't see anyone anymore though. My condition is lifelong and fluctuating. 

The only difference in the money between the two is if you suddenly don't qualify, it's gone. £130 a week less because ESA drops. They don't tell you that bit! 

I only think of a diary because I keeping reading about the importance of antedoctal evidence. However I can't actually supply much evidence because I have already been assessed to live in my accommodation- because I can't do things and I need a carer. So how do you show what happens if you did when you haven't for over ten years! 
    As an aside I do wonder if they declined me because I am already receiving support so you don't need us.

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    whistles said:

As an aside I do wonder if they declined me because I am already receiving support so you don't need us.

In my opinion there is probably more truth in that than you think.
    Like medication or treatment - if you refuse what has been prescribed you will still be assessed as taking it with the resulting benefits that it could bring thereby reducing your difficulties. Like with aids if for some reason you refuse to use them or don't buy them you will be assessed as owning and using them thus helping to reduce your level of difficulties.
    Consequently having the support as you are getting will be seen as reducing what your difficulties are.
  • [Deleted User]
  • Teresa_1
    I needed a letter from doctor re suffering from agoraphobia mainly,and he's known me 30 years,so knows all my history.I have not been involved with any other services for a long time,so had nowhere else to turn.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.