Panicked at my PIP assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Panicked at my PIP assessment

scoobydoo9899
scoobydoo9899 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
edited April 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
i have just had my pip assessment and it was very distressing as im very afraid of talking to strangers my mouth was getting very dry and i started to panic wanting to get out i had my mum for support which she is always with me where ever i go 95% of the time, i was awarded dla back in 2001 and i recieved it for a year, i wasnt aware i could have claimed it again (hence why i never did) hoowever my mental health is very much the same as it was when i was a young adult (im now 44) however my mobility is very poor now due to copd i also have very very painful arthritis in my joints i spend 85% of my time in the house as i dont go out very often unless im with someone i know extremly well as i have very servere anxiey and panic attacks i was just wondering if anyone could give me anymore information on this pip as its very hard to understand thank you  

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @scoobydoo9899 and a warm welcome to the community. I'm very glad you've found us.
    Others who know more about PIP will be in touch with you in due course, but we have a resource here which you might like to read.
    In the meantime, please stay in touch and don't hesitate to ask us anything or tell us anything more about yourself. The better we get to know each other, the more easily we may find ways of supporting you.
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi Scooby

A very warm welcome.

Sorry to learn you found the assessment daunting.

I would leave it for a couple of weeks since your assessment.

Then you should contact the Pip helpline to ask for a copy of your assessment report.

From that you will be able to tell what award is likely.

I think you would find the assistance of your local CAB, to guide you at this stage, so you need to arrange a face to face meeting with a caseworker. Your mum would be able to attend with you.

Hope this helps.

Do come back if you need any further info.

Best wishes

atlas46

• scoobydoo9899
    thank you for your input very much appreciated regards scoobydoo

• scoobydoo9899
    How do I go about requesting my report? Is that the one the assessor did when I had my f2f ? Thank you 
  • atlas46
    Morning scooby

Just phone PIP helpline and ask for copy and also, how long will it take to get it.

Should take no longer than two weeks.

Keep us informed.

Enjoy the sunshine.

Best wishes.

atlas46
  • scoobydoo9899
    Many thanks I will do that @atlas46 however my mum mentioned to me yesterday something the pip assessor had said wich was something along the lines of “they will want to see you every 3/4 years because of your conditions” (I can’t remember) I was so so nervous during the assessment my mum said that sounded promising ? I’m not sure what are your thoughts @atlas46
  • atlas46
    Hi

What the assessor was saying is correct.

The assessor will recommend a review period, this will be in years.

This will be when you asked to renew your claim, this is entirely normal.

It sounds as though you have been awarded something, but you need the actual award letter, for conformation.

Get the assessment report!

Let us know if you need any more details.

Best wishes

atlas46
  • scoobydoo9899
    Thank you I’ll Ask to have the report sent to me thanks again @atlas46
  • scoobydoo9899
    I have done that and they said it should arrive in the next 7/10 days, I’m all chewed up again ? if the correct decision isn’t made Fairly and transparently as no person (in my opinion) would put themselves through this unnessasarly it’s as if your fighting to be belived when medical records and dates can prove if your truthful or deceptive.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2022
    I have done that and they said it should arrive in the next 7/10 days, I’m all chewed up again ? if the correct decision isn’t made Fairly and transparently as no person (in my opinion) would put themselves through this unnessasarly it’s as if your fighting to be belived when medical records and dates can prove if your truthful or deceptive.
    As Mike [removed by moderator] says regularly, your diagnosis etc is of little interest to the DWP. They want full provable details of how your condition affects you in your daily life. In fact you can get PIP without having any diagnosis.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.