How can I move into suitable housing? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How can I move into suitable housing?

reebokgal
reebokgal Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I’m in a 3bedroom 2nd floor flat I have arthritis in my hands knees and feet I’m in so much pain I also have mental health problem  and I have two children 8 year old girl and 6 year old boy who is suspected adhd just want to know how can I get moved 

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @reebokgal and a warm welcome to the community. Good to have you with us.
    I'm not able to answer your housing question, but I am going to tag in a couple of people who may be able to assist you.
    In the meantime, keep in touch and don't hesitate to ask us any questions or to tell us more about yourself and your situation that might help us to help you.
    @Sam_Scope, @Lasian_Scope
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard @JennysDad
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @reebokgal and welcome to the community.

Assuming you are a social tenant in the first place you would need to contact your landlord to discuss your needs and how to go about arranging a transfer. Alternative you could look into the home swap scheme. You will need your landlord's approval, but this is not normally withheld without good reason. 

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @reebokgal
    We have lots of information about housing here that might help.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Can you give more info on home swop scheme please 
  • jacki1962
    jacki1962 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I'm in a first floor flat , it's  council owned. I have osteoarthritis,  COPD & suffer from anxiety /depression. I had to apply for a move through the council via a application form. I stated all my health conditions as my reason for a move. However they have only awarded me one point on the housing waiting list , saying it's my choice to move. It's NOT my choice , it's my conditions that mean I HAVE to move. I have since had a visit from the Occupational therapist & she has to put in her report to the council.So fingers crossed they award me more points , once they see her report , & I can finally get to move. I'm in Scotland & this is the process I had to do here. 
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    @Misscleo

See https://www.ourproperty.co.uk/guides/how_to_go_about_a_council_house_exchange/

As far as I am aware the same applies to housing associations and swaps between council and HA tenants.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger

Brightness