DLA conditions — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA conditions

whistles
whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
Can't sleep!

Came across this which I found interesting.
The DLA actually did include MH as an impairment. You would have needed to be significantly effected. Psychosis was a common reason for receiving benefit. 
My assumption was that learning disability, deaf, blind, wheelchair bound would have been the highest, but it looks like it's arthritis.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/jan/18/disability-living-allowance-data

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.

Comments

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    For DLA it doesn't surprise me to see arthritis pain along with back pain and other 'hidden' ailments features so high.

The major difficulty that the DWP had was actually having to make an award based entirely on how the claimant made the case for suffering in pain.

Under PIP the proving of how this pain affects the claimant is down to the claimant .themselves. 

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    When I first claimed DLA DWP sent a doctor to my address to assess me and also asked my GP for a report.  So DWP made DLA awards based on medical reports, one by DWP's own doctor, as well as on the claimant's claim form.

I have RA and my DLA was not just based on pain but mainly how my condition affected my daily living and mobility, just as PIP now is, though less formally than PIP - i.e. under DLA there were no fiddly 'descriptors' to fit your disabilities into.
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    I honestly can't recall if I had a home visit.
    But it's interesting they had their own doctor.
    Nine of this farming it out and then passing the blame onto the contractors.

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.