Diagnosing R.A — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Diagnosing R.A

Colourfull
Colourfull Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
Are their any other tests apart from E.S.R. to diagnose R.A as both my toes hurt on each foot and the joints below my toes hurt both feet knees swelling my back my hips my shoulders my knack joints in my wrists I've had E.S.R. test they said came back ok I have constant fatigue and like for 2 days every week just want to Sleep n not get up or do anything.

Dolphin500. 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Colourfull, this NHS page on RA diagnosis may be helpful, and perhaps some of our other community members could share their experiences too. Really sorry to hear that you're struggling, it might be worth making another appointment with your GP to talk about this?
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi colourful

Sorry to hear of your difficulties.

Are you under the care of a rheumatologist?

You should be with the signs and symptoms you describe.

You should not be suffering like this, I would suggest you make an apt to see your GP, to get the ball rolling.

Let us know if you need any more info.

Best wishes

atlas46

• Colourfull
    Hi Pippa,

No I am not at all,

All I did this morning was clean the wet room and I am whacked out.
    Really is taking the Mic I am going back to the doctors I Cannot carry on like this.

Colourfull.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    So sorry to hear that @Colourfull, one of my main symptoms of my chronic illness is fatigue, and I know how debilitating it can be. Really hope you can get to the bottom of things with your GP.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Hi @colourfull you may have fibromyalgia. You need hospital checks. But you can look it up on your computer and if you have 90% of whats said about fibromyalgia bingo thats proberly what you have.
    Ive had fibro since 1983.
    There also polymyalgia again while your waiting for hospital appointment have read on you computer then if not these two you can cross them off

• Colourfull
    Hi to all,

I am making an appointment in the morning see if I can't get one asap but dunno ifI can lol but will try.

Colourfull.

• Colourfull
    Hi to all,

I have an appointment for next thursday morning so will be interesting as the doctor will have a student in with him.
    So will see what they have to say might actually get somewhere this time.

Colourfull.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Colourfull your symptoms are similar to mine. I thought I had R A but blood tests said no. Years of chronic pain. Changed my g p. Diagnosed with fibromyalgia. A good gp will put together all your symptoms and take blood tests and either diagnose or eliminate potential conditions. In my case my gp was able to diagnose without hospital appointment.
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    hi debbiedo49. i thought i had arthritis in my hands so went to drs. had a blood test and x-ray. both came back negative. i have got to go back to drs on 22nd of may to see what is causing the problems but i have ME so it may just be yet another symptom of my ME.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes I thought I had that in my hands too. Good luck
  • Dingbat
    Dingbat Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Hi @Colourfull.  I have just been diagnosed with RA myself after some years of asking my Dr to do the test.  He seemed to think that it was Fibromyalgia, but I just didn't.  Turns out my Markers for Rheumatoid Arthritis are present, but now after having seen the Rheumatologist, it is being broken down in to which type (as there are many).  Rheumatologist seems to think I have PMR (Polymyalgia Rheumatica) but then again could be Psoriatic Arthritis as also have what looks like patches of Psoriasis.  I have been put on a 6-week course of Prednisolone 20mgs daily to calm my Inflammatory Markers (CRP and ESR) which  have been raised now for around 2-years or so.  If, like me, you suffer from morning stiffness in your hands, wrists, ankles, feet and it takes at least 45 minutes to an hour to 'defrost' (as I call it), then ask your GP for a test specific to Rheumatoid Arthritis.  I tend to get extreme lethargy with it, and there are days when all I want to do is sleep!  It is very debilitating and painful and there are days when you feel you just cannot be bothered with life.

Persevere, ask your Dr to do the tests and to refer you to Rheumatology who will also be able to manage your Fibromyalgia. 
  • pigeon55
    pigeon55 Community member Posts: 116 Courageous
    Was diagnosed with osteoarthritis 4 yrs ago. In 2016 I had a knee and hip replacement. Since then I have been told I have a degenerative dis ease in my spine to wich I've been told there's a 20% disability. Also had scans to my other knee and hip both shoulders and angels confirming arthritus in them all. Had injections to no avail. Been told I need operations. This has caused me to suffer from depression and high anxiety to wich I'm being treated by pain management at my local hospital. The last few months I've been inconsiderable pain very tired and find everything is difficult to do. I don't sleep at night and find walking and reaching very difficult. During my GP and hospital appointments no one has mentioned in may have fibromyalgia just taking day by day. Awaiting a independent tribunal hearing since last September. Every week gets more demanding.
    Pigeon55

Brightness