No PIP after reconsideration — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

No PIP after reconsideration

Adi72
Adi72 Community member Posts: 47 Connected
edited May 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello All

Im new here so thought I would say hi!

I am an Appointee for my daughter and today got told another no for PIP after a reconsideration.Very upset not only for my daughter but also now I lose my Carers allowance and Income support as a Carer too.

We have someone from citizens advice coming to the house on 18th to help with the appeal form etc.

But im so so scared as I also suffer with anxiety and its a strain now with financials,bills and mortgage etc.

Hope it doesnt take too long to appeal.The report from the home assessment contained so many mistakes and also said my daughter appeared well kept,spoke well and could walk ok.

She suffers pain all the time and struggles through it.’cshe suffers anxiety,depression amongst others things and was trembling,no eye contact and was visibly anxious.

PIP is a nightmare and im oetrified for the appeal in case they cannot see she suffers.Apart from her physical health, mental health is so hard to read for so called professional people.

Sadly, Adi

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Adi and a very warm welcome to the community. So very sorry to hear about what you are being put through. On here you will find you're not alone - too often PIP is a nightmare.
    It will be a bit quiet here at this time of night, but bear with us and others will be along to chat with you in due course. You will find you are very much among friends.
    Warmest best wishes to you and to your daughter,
    Richard
    @JennysDad
  • Adi72
    Hello.Thank you for you reply.

Thats ok I didnt expect anyone to be on.Gonna try to get some sleep if I can.

So tired with so much stress at the mo,so many other things happening but one day at a time eh.

Thanks again for your reply?
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem @Adi72 Heading for bed myself now. Sleep tight.
  • markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    By all means appeal the decision but don't expect a quick decision i have had 2 appeals and waited 9 months on both .
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    69% of appeals succeed.
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    So sorry you've been caught in the PIP trap too. 6th appeal coming up in a few months. Won them all, tho. Very occasionally you get a nasty tribunal member, but they're almost always understanding and polite. They know very well how **** these decisions are! 

They do fire a lot of questions at you, as the tribunals are short, but they won't be trying to trick you, and they actually read everything you send in and make a fair decision.

Good luck!
  • Adi72
    @Waylay Thank you for your reply.

Thats alot of appeals to go to.Do you mind me asking why you had to go to 6?

We only have little evidence but have a little more now.

Just worried they wont believe my daughter is ill.She suffers with alot of pain as well as mental illness and it has meant she has missed alot of school.

Slightly scared of this appeal
  • Laura99
    Laura99 Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    I personally found that the panel really understood ,y own underlying mental health issues when I had my tribunal, which was successful.

It could take many months, I'm afraid.

Yes, they do it to make people give up. So please stick with it and let us know how you get on.

My own daughter had very similar problems to yours and I had to really fight to get her PIP.

All the best to you.
  • Adi72
    @Laura99 Thank you for your reply.We have a PIP expert coming from Citezens Advice coming on 18th to help fill out the appeal form.Im so scared as my daughter is ill for sure.The way the PIP people write how they think you manage and that they come across as tho nothing is wrong in what they write is just so upsetting.I think they seem so blasé about things because they what it to looks hopeless for you.But I know how ill my daughter is and how much she struggles to live a normal life(its far from normal).Yikes PIP is jist horrible and its causing us so much stress.But I will not give up,we will go to the tribunal and give it everything we have x
  • Laura99
    Do please remember that the people at the tribunal are not from the DWP, neither do they represent the DWP.

You will find it easier to explain verbally how your daughter's condition affects her. Writing it down can be difficult sometimes. Having said that, I think it helps to have the points you want to make written down to remind you.

The panel will ask you questions. Answer after considering your reply. Don't be hurried. They are not there deliberately to 'fail' you. Their task is to ensure that the DWP are doing the initial assessments correctly.

Bearing in mind that almost 70% of appeals to tribunals are successful, it would appear that the DWP are NOT doing the initial assessments correctly. You only have to read some of the posts on this website to gather that.

I know you feel as though you're being put through a wringer at the moment but take heart. People here will support you.
  • Adi72
    @lilybelle Thats great you had you decision at MR stage.We have to go to appeal now.My daughter is only 16 and is not only ill in many ways (which they apparently think is nothing to be concerned about) but she cannot go to school and even take her GCSE’s!I She is being helped to attend a college 1-2 hours a week from Sept but that will probs start at home due to her anxiety and pain.I hate that we have to go through this,we are so tired and drained as so much is going on all at once.Deep breath,head down and keep going.Its so hard to think a panel would see her as she is when DWP have almost simplified her illness and said ‘you can do this and you can do that so we cannot award you PIP’.They are a nightmare.Sry for the moan everyone.

???
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    So sorry to hear about your situation, @Adi72, and glad to hear that you're beginning the appeals process. If you haven't seen it already, Scope's guidance on appealing DWP decisions may be worth a read.
  • Adi72
    I have seen a discussion on here about PIP and the dwp not agreeing with the decision and then people having to go through several layers of tribunal after being told they have been awarded.Only then to have to go thru another many weeks of stress for the next stage.Im ag my wits end.We have social services involved as my daughter is unwell and im also unwell but i am her Carer too.Its all so stressful.We have been ticking things off he list of heir requirements on the plan and im now also having to call people to chase up as they are not complying us as they should. Also just about to go to appeals process and have a citizens advice guy coming next week to help fill out a PIP form. I cannot beleive the sheer volumn of stress im under right now,social services have written reports and had a cp meeting that just made me aound like such a terrible mother due to my illness.Mainly anxiety. I do everything to help my daughter but she has seen me go through alot after a bad breakup due to domestic abuse.Im better now than i was but still getting there.x
  • Adi72
    Can anyone help?My daughter is unwell with mental health and physical health.We have involvement from Social Services under child protection and we are going through all the hoops they are putting in our path.They have caused so much stress with lies,exagerations and pulling me to bits in the child protection meeting which caused me trauma.We are also just going to be starting a PIP appeal process too. Im so exhausted and overwhelmed.I had a big cry tonight and a panic attack which is rare now adays. x 

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    @Adi72 Wish I could. :/ 
    I've had 2 ESA appeals, 1 DLA appeal, and this will be my third PIP appeal. I have an invisible physical disability (chronic pain), and 3 MH illnesses, none of which are dealt with very well by the benefits system. :/ They also all fluctuate a lot. I keep being reassessed for PIP before a year has even gone by. :/
  • Laura99
    Adi, I am certain that the system is like this to deter claimants.

You will get through this. I have been through a year of chaos and uncertainty and I feel for you.

Keep at it. The tribunal is the most likely to succeed and all benefits should be backdated.

Yesterday I received a year's worth of PIP in one go, so it is possible. Take heart and let us know how things are going.
  • Adi72
    @Laura99 Thank you for your reply.So didnit take a year to appeal?

My sister is helping to support me for 6 months so hope it is done in that time.Will my carers allowance and income support as a carer be backdated?and if so ive heard itll only be 3 months worth?

Have a citizens advice guy coming next week to help with the form xx
  • Laura99
    It was eleven months from the date until I claimed PIP until my tribunal. It took the DWP a further three weeks to pay me.

Carer's Allowance is backdated to the date that the person getting PIP starts to get it retrospectively. Therefore, in my case, my carer gets a year's worth of C.A.
  • Laura99
    Just to clarify - I claimed PIP in May2017 and it was denied. The Mandatory Reconsideration also failed. That did not happen until last October. In fact my PIP assessment didn't happen until September.

My application for a tribunal went in in October and it was heard a month ago.

Today I finally got paid.

The application for Carer's Allowance has gone in. Their own website says that if it is awarded it will be backdated to last May.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.