Will compensation stop ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will compensation stop ESA?

Options
thefainthearted
thefainthearted Community member Posts: 6 Connected
Hi my daughter was attached some 5 years ago. we won a cica tribunal and she was awared £11,000 compensation for her injuries. she suffers with agraphobia and claims eas. once she receives the award payment will she loose her esa. she owns nothing other than this payment which should be with her in 20 days or so.

Comments

• gnmeads
    gnmeads Community member Posts: 187 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi thefainthearted Welcome to the Scope community and sorry to hear about your daughters injuries.
    I think you can have £6000 in savings until it starts affecting your ESA, up to £16000 when it completely stops.  This doesn't affect the claim automatically.
    Here is a link as a guide:https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/savings
  • Ripples
    Ripples Community member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    Options
    Is your daughter on income related ESA? As far as I recall if you have savings  over  £16000 you won't get paid anything. Between £6000 and £16000 is classified as income generating so you lose £1 of benefit for every £250 you are over £6000.  With  £11,000 that would work out at minus £20 per week. Does she have plans for the money? If she has a valid reason to spend a chunk of it then that would reduce the amount she will lose from her ESA.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi thefainthearted, 

A payment that is made because of personal injury to you is disregarded for 52 weeks. This gives you time to spend some or all of the payment, or put it into a trust or annuity, before your benefit is affected. The 52 weeks start from when you receive the payment.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.