Comedian on Britain's got talent.. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Comedian on Britain's got talent..

Shadowdragon
Shadowdragon Community member Posts: 17 Courageous
Hi
Just wondering if anyone saw the disabled chap doing the jokes. And what you thought about people with disabilities making disabled jokes?

I suppose the question is, are performances like this doing something positive for awareness of disabilities or just being akin to a modern day freak show?

Also loved his Tshirt

Comments

• peterpete
    peterpete Community member Posts: 37 Courageous
    I thought he was amazing glad he done so well
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    hi didn't see it but i watch the last leg. Adam Hills and Alex Brooker who do the programme are both disabled and are always making fun of there disabilities. i think it is good that we are able to laugh at ourselves.
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @deb74
    i have watched the Last Leg too, it’s so funny.
    Yes they make fun out of themselves, better to laugh than cry.

• deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
  • colet
    colet CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 101 Pioneering
    I love him as I have got a talking aid myself 
  • Tonikp
    Tonikp Community member Posts: 8 Courageous
    I loved the guy on BGT and I love the Last Leg, I went with a friend to see it before Christmas. I think both are brilliant!
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Shadowdragon This is good humour, needs to be. Laughter is the best medicine.  I have in the past and still do occasionally get asked to stand up.

Love jokes and stories about my life and the rest. See my many posts.

What has happened in many of these charities. All PC nuts, can not say any thing. Crack a funny, get a call from the team manager you can't say that.

Humour if it is offensive and crosses a certain boundary.  Then no I do not think so.  Then again what is humour to every one.

Seen and travelled this country of ours met and watched many comics and comedians. 

I always have jokes and stories pull my self about to bits.  Anxiety and depression is not good some times. When you meet others. All of us in a room all full of hope and heart. Wishing on a prayer.

Not wanting to be there.  Good to have an icebreaker of sorts in your mind.

A story or joke full of wit. Just to break the ice.  Nothing wrong with a shaft of wit.  I said a shaft of wit lol

Jokes about disability.  Nothing wrong is there?  If you are disabled yourself. I do jokes as I said about me. 

We all take our self too seriously.  As a community. Understand a place for being sensitive, kind and caring.  Consideration , tactful and diplomacy.

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    I don't see a problem with someone using their own life experiences to be funny,or create an act. Most comedians use personal experience to make an act, or their family and friends experience. I think saying just because someone is disabled they can not make fun of their own experiences is a poor attitude and tbh hypocritical.

I thought he was funny, and it remind me of a young man on the show last year maybe year before?? who came on and said, I know you all think Harry Potter had a quidditch accident.

Bring them on and let them make folk laugh as much as any other act.
    life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • Shadowdragon
    I did enjoy the act myself i purposely dint say i did or didn't as i didn't want the thread to go down a debate path i just wanted opinions.

Wow lots of Didn'ts in that sentence.

I too take my disability light heartily. I call my disability parking badge my "lame and lazy" for example. When the wife or PA puts my scooter back in the car i usually say "Right a quick run round car park and we can be off" that kinda thing.

I liked the Tshirt so much I bought one :smile:

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Shadowdragon This is a interesting question that is why you have a lot of answers and also a lot of comments.

Every body  views and opinions have to say or try to know to have a joke or stories in their arsenal. For those moments in parties and gatherings. Standing around helps.

Understand all that and just appreciate the positivity of the community.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Shadowdragon
    @thespiceman thank you, i am a bit wary of opinions played too many hours of games like World of warcraft where there are lots of keyboard warriors just waiting for a chance of a flame war.

• veriterc
    veriterc Community member Posts: 241 Pioneering
    Loved the 'Guy with no Voice'.  His humour probably makes the rest of the world realise far better what we have to overcome, than any amount of serious stuff.  And - if you really want your hair to stand up on end, there is tons of  black humour that flies around on a long-term ward, cancer ward etc.  
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    I didn't see it.
    But all humour is at someone else's expense. 
    The difference I suspect here is people were laughing with him and not at him. 

I do joke at my own life, people laugh alongside and with. I'm just me and it's one of life's side effects- if I am in yours!!

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Loved the guy with no voice. What an inspiration.

Brightness