Carers Allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers Allowance

SethLaa
SethLaa Community member Posts: 111 Courageous
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
I am in the Support Group of ESA CB, a friend of mine who has just retired and who now claims Private and State Pension wants to become my Carer as I now need lots of assistance, I believe that if he is successful in claiming then he will not face any financial penalties but could I be affected, I am currently receiving approx £126 per week which is made up of ESA and a Disability Payment, I am also claiming a 1 band reduction in my Council Tax and getting DLA of HRM and MRC, is it worth my pal claiming or is it too difficult to do so, many thanks for your help from Russell

Comments

• SethLaa
    SethLaa Community member Posts: 111 Courageous
    Hello again,is there anybody able to help me with the above post, thank you
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SethLaa
    The benefits calculator allows you to put in your personal details and will come out with what benefits you could claim and how it would affect you financially.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • ayjay
    ayjay Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
    Your friend won't get the Carers Allowance if they are in receipt of state pension.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi SethLaa,

Your friend cannot get Carer's Allowance if he is getting a State Pension, however it is worth claiming it if he is receiving Pension Credit and/or Housing Benefit/Council Tax Reduction, as having an underlying entitlement to CA means that he will get extra PC or HB.
    If you are getting £126 ESA this sounds as though you are in the support group and that you don't get SDP, but if you live alone and nobody claims CA for you, you could get the SDP of £64.30 a week added on to your ESA (this is the income-related part of ESA so if you have any other income you may not get it).

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.