volunteering and on benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

volunteering and on benefits

rachel25
rachel25 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Would like to do volunteering one day a week, I am currently on PIP and ESA, would I need to tell the job centre I am volunteering as I don't want them to think I can work full time, I just want to try one day and see how I manage. Will it affect my benefits? Thank you. 

Comments

• Trengarnuq1
    Trengarnuq1 Community member Posts: 18 Listener
    if you r in wrag group it should not affect your benifits if in support group yes it will because in support  group you r unfit to work?
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    You could ring DWP and ask or your local job Center to find out, you can work and be paid I think £120 per week but do check before what the rules are regarding being in the support group.
  • Trengarnuq1
    If you r in support group you r asssesst as unable to work and you will loose it if you can work and it will tell them that your assesment was wrong so it will make it harder to get it i got it because i cannot work 
  • rachel25
    rachel25 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    trengarnuq1 yes I understand that, I am in the wrag group.
  • Trengarnuq1
    i just checked and i was wrong it very limited permited work it says as long as you ask them first and you r allowed £120 a week but ask first so you do not  loose any benefit please
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    If you r in support group you r asssesst as unable to work and you will loose it if you can work and it will tell them that your assesment was wrong so it will make it harder to get it i got it because i cannot work 
    This is not correct, sorry.
    People can do what's call permitted work, whether they're in the WRAG or Support Group and there's no time limits to how long you can do the work for.

It won't go against you unless the work you do contradicts the reasons your claiming ESA.

Any work you do whether it's paid or voluntary must be report to the DWP before you start the work.
    Permitted work rules here.
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Permitted-Work-Rules

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.