GP surgery problem — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

GP surgery problem

Options
Matilda
Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
A med I've been taking for years for my RA was stopped 2.5 weeks ago by my GP surgery without warning or explanation, and there should be no excuse such as needing a med review or blood test because currently I need neither.  

Impossible to get through on phone to book a phone consultation until all appointments are gone.  So booked a f2f consultation which is still almost two weeks away.  10 days ago I wrote to the senior partner, recorded delivery.  To date, I have not heard back from her.  I know she only works part time and of course could be away on holiday.

I attended a med review in April but the surgery system states that I am still due a med review.  I have now written, recorded delivery, to the practice manager asking them to ask a receptionist to update the system.  Have to wait and see if anything happens - got my doubts .  No point phoning the surgery as most of the receptionists are temps, only work there for five minutes, and don't know what they're doing.

Anyone else experienced such an incompetent GP surgery?

Comments

• Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Matilda,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with your GP surgery. Have you been unable to take your medication for the past 2.5 weeks, or do you still have some left before running out? It's very frustrating not being able to get through to someone - I hope that the practice manager responds to you soon.

Would it be possible to put in a prescription request (in writing, and keeping a copy for yourself), detailing when you run out of medication and that you have had your medication review - including the date, the doctor you saw, if you discussed blood results, when you were expected to come back, and the date of your upcoming appointment? 

Hopefully that method would give them a push, but I do understand it's frustrating to have to do more when you already tried hard to clear everything up!
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Thank you, @Lasian_Scope

Luckily, I do still have some of the med concerned.

In my letter I sent to the senior partner 10 days ago, I stated that when the rest of the repeats were collected on 20 April Boots had said this med had been left off the list; the date of my latest med review - 10 April; the pharmacist I saw at the surgery who did the med review; that she said no blood test was due because hospital had sent surgery my blood test results done in March.  Feel I could not have done any more and that I'm talking to a brick wall at the surgery - unless of course senior partner is away on hols so hasn't received my letter yet.

Think my only hope is to wait until my f2f consultation in 2 weeks time when I hope the doctor concerned can understand where the incompetence has occurred and sort it all out.

My letter to practice manager is just about updating the system to reflect that I have had my latest med review due.  Sounds simple enough but I've got my doubts it'll be done :/ .

Brightness