UC Health assement question? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC Health assement question?

Andy2502
Andy2502 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
edited May 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
Im claiming UC but only getting the basic rate as I'm in the assement phase and waiting for a decision from PIP, I put on the form I need a home visit, they have written to my family doctor who hasn't seen me in over 6 MONTHS and basically said I'm ok for a assement at an assement centre, I suffer with extream anxiety and can walk 50 metres max before I have to sit and catch my breath and let the pain in my feet and legs settle down, the closest place to park is over 300 meters away which I know I won't be able to manage, I don't use a wheelchair as I don't normally walk with my crutches that far as I know my limits but there is a wheelchair available to me.
Should I use the wheelchair even though I don't use it but I wouldn't walk that far as I know my limits and I don't leave the house anyway? Or would this count as "lying" or "fraud"?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

Andy

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    No, if you don't use your wheelchair regularly then don't take it and use it for the assessment. Not that it matters really because disabled people that use wheelchairs do actually work and this wouldn't stop you from doing some work, i'm afraid.

The UC assessment is the same as the ESA one and they will be looking to see if you can do any type of work because it's all about what you CAN do and not what you CAN'T do.

Did you send in evidence to support your claim? Evidence will be needed. If you didn't then i'd advice you to take all your evidence to the assessment with you, hopefully they accept it from you. I do know that sometimes it's been know for them to refuse evidence on the day of the assessment.

Your PIP decision will have no affect on the UC assessment because they're 2 different benefits. There's also no premiums paid with UC like there is with ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Andy2502

No I didn't send any evidence with my form as it would of cost me £50 which I couldn't afford to get my medical records (as I have a few conditions) else it would of been £35 per condition, but my point about the wheelchair is I can walk 50 meters max before I'm in excruciating pain and its that painful it causes me to vomit, but the car park to the assessment centre is 387 meters apart!!! how do I get from the car park to the assessment centre without using a wheelchair, because like I said I use crutches and don't go any further than 50 meters and I only leave the house once a month to go to the doctors.

I've now signed up to patient access so I can print everything off and I've phoned them and told them about this and they have said to take it in on the day

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    @Andy2502 Can you take a taxi and get dropped off close to the door?
  • poppy123456
    Andy2502 said:

No I didn't send any evidence with my form as it would of cost me £50 which I couldn't afford to get my medical records (as I have a few conditions) else it would of been £35 per condition, but my point about the wheelchair is I can walk 50 meters max before I'm in excruciating pain and its that painful it causes me to vomit, but the car park to the assessment centre is 387 meters apart!!! how do I get from the car park to the assessment centre without using a wheelchair, because like I said I use crutches and don't go any further than 50 meters and I only leave the house once a month to go to the doctors.

I've now signed up to patient access so I can print everything off and I've phoned them and told them about this and they have said to take it in on the day

Do you have someone that could take you to the assessment and drop you off outside before parking? Even if you did use a wheelchair, self propelling would be extremely difficult.

Patient access gives very limited medical records, as i have access to that too. The only thing it tells me is my prescriptions and allergies, nothing more. Even though you rang to ask if you could take your evidence with you, don't be surprised if they refuse to accept it. It happens a lot, including with me multiple times.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Andy2502
    Waylay said:
    Will they cover £60 return on a taxi? 
  • Andy2502
    Andy2502 said:

Do you have someone that could take you to the assessment and drop you off outside before parking? Even if you did use a wheelchair, self propelling would be extremely difficult.

Patient access gives very limited medical records, as i have access to that too. The only thing it tells me is my prescriptions and allergies, nothing more. Even though you rang to ask if you could take your evidence with you, don't be surprised if they refuse to accept it. It happens a lot, including with me multiple times.
    I have my brother/carer coming with me but he can't drive, thank you for warning me about the evidence I have printed off all my consultant letters and prescription list I'll take them with me, if they refuse they refuse, from what everyone on a few of the disscussions have said and why they say the assessment is done they shouldn't need any of it anyway 
  • poppy123456
    Andy2502 said:
    Waylay said:
    Will they cover £60 return on a taxi? 
    No, you need to have permission and good reasons why a taxi is needed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.