What benefits am I entitled to — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What benefits am I entitled to

Options
jeanreynolds123
jeanreynolds123 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I am currently on long term sick from work I get 92 pound sick pay and get 181pound off universal credit for my rent which isn't enough I've got a £30 shortfall to pay every week I have been for a medical which universal credit sent me to but have been told it's not for extra money I'm at my wits end 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @jeanreynolds123, try the benefits calculator to see if there's anything else you may be entitled to- it may be that you can claim PIP, which isn't means-tested.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @jeanreynolds123

A possibility in this scenario is to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment from your local Council. Although as you are in a UC area the Council no longer pays Housing Benefit, they are very likely to still have a discretionary scheme giving them the power to make up the shortfall in extreme situations.

What you need to explain on the DHP form is why you live in a property where the rent is not covered by your LHA rates (for example you were able to pay rent by working but have now unexpectedly become too ill to work etc).

Also do the calculations using the calculator above to check the rates etc you are receiving are in fact correct.

If this is likely to be a scenario that is very long term however, you may want to look at the possibility of moving somewhere where your rent will be covered - its a bit extreme I know, but better than getting into debt and making yourself ill with worry...

Hope this helps.
    Kind regards,
    Mary
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.