What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

What benefits am I entitled to

I am currently on long term sick from work I get 92 pound sick pay and get 181pound off universal credit for my rent which isn't enough I've got a £30 shortfall to pay every week I have been for a medical which universal credit sent me to but have been told it's not for extra money I'm at my wits end 


  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jeanreynolds123, try the benefits calculator to see if there's anything else you may be entitled to- it may be that you can claim PIP, which isn't means-tested.
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi @jeanreynolds123

    A possibility in this scenario is to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment from your local Council. Although as you are in a UC area the Council no longer pays Housing Benefit, they are very likely to still have a discretionary scheme giving them the power to make up the shortfall in extreme situations.

    What you need to explain on the DHP form is why you live in a property where the rent is not covered by your LHA rates (for example you were able to pay rent by working but have now unexpectedly become too ill to work etc).

    Also do the calculations using the calculator above to check the rates etc you are receiving are in fact correct.

    If this is likely to be a scenario that is very long term however, you may want to look at the possibility of moving somewhere where your rent will be covered - its a bit extreme I know, but better than getting into debt and making yourself ill with worry...

    Hope this helps.
    Kind regards,
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.