Only scored 1 point at tribunal, multiple health conditions — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Only scored 1 point at tribunal, multiple health conditions

Bill1967
Bill1967 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited May 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I was recently turned down for PIP after changing from DLA..I suffer from Fibro, Ostero, Heart Disease, Lung Disease, Sleep Apnia and an Underactive Thyrod..yet only scored 1 point at Tribunal.. I've now been waiting month's after requesting a statement of reason's.. Has anyone else had these problems ?

Comments

• sandyp196
    sandyp196 Community member Posts: 142 Pioneering
    Yes lots of people. I'm sorry you are dealing with so much. You will get some help here to go forward with your claim. 
  • Bill1967
    Thankyou..heads done in..going for injection's in both shoulder's in the morning..so am going to try and get some sleep now..but will definitely be back soon..been in so much pain and its bad enough having to live this way without these people messing about with your head..
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Bill1967
    On a similar post, the benefits advisors said this:

The procedure to challenge a First Tier Tribunal decision is lengthy, and there are 4 stages. I have explained the first 2 stages in detail, and then given a brief explanation of stage 3 and 4.

Stage 1
    When the DWP are thinking about challenging a tribunals decision they must first ask for full written reasons for the decision. The DWP must make this request within 1 month of the tribunal decision. 

Once the Tribunal have received this request the chair of the tribunal will provide a written statement to you and the DWP explaining why they awarded PIP.  In my experience it can take up to 12 weeks for the written statement to be sent out. 

Stage 2
    Once the DWP have received the statement of reasons they then have to make a formal written request to the First Tier Tribunal stating why the tribunal who decided your partners appeal made an error of law in reaching their decision.  An error of law is for example that the have not adequately explained how they made their decision, or misunderstood the law.  This formal request is called permission to appeal, and must be made within 1 month of the date of the tribunals written statement of reasons. 

If the DWP believe that they have a case to argue, and request permission to appeal, you will be sent a copy of this request. A Tribunal Judge who was not involved with your appeal will then look at the request to see if permission to appeal should be granted. You will not be asked to attend another hearing for this issue to be considered.  

If permission to appeal is granted it is likely that your case will then proceed to the Upper Tribunal, if permission to appeal is not granted then the DWP will then have to ask the Upper Tribunal to look again at their request for permission to appeal. In my experience this second part of the procedure can take around 6 weeks. 

Stage 3
    An Upper Tribunal will consider your case, and either decide that the First Tier Tribunal did make an error of law, or that the decision to award PIP is correct.  The Upper Tribunal generally considers cases on paper, which means that only in very rare cases will you be asked if you would like to attend the hearing. 

I would strongly advise you to seek advice from a local advice agency, Law Centre or CAB if your case does go to an Upper Tribunal. 

Stage 4
    If an error of law was made by the tribunal, you will be asked to attend another PIP hearing so that another Tribunal can decide if you are entitled to PIP and at what rates (if awarded). 

If an error of law was not made by the tribunal then PIP are extremely likely to accept the decision and award PIP as decided by the tribunal. 

At these early stages you will not have much input, as ultimately it will be for the DWP to persuade a tribunal judge that there has been an error of law. It is only if the case proceeds to the Upper Tribunal, will you be asked for your opinion, and thus as advised above at this stage it is best to seek further advice.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    You can put in a new PIP claim at any time.  PIP is awarded not for medical conditions themselves but for how these affect your daily living and mobility.

Try to get some f2f help from CAB or similar.

Disability Rights UK site has a good guide to all stages of PIP.

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Quicker and easier to start again
    at least you have more knowledge this time around

That's not a sensible thing to do. Not only will you lose benefit for the time that you have been waiting but also the very recent face to face assessment report will still be available to the Decision Maker who could possibly decide again that you get no award.

If you are certain that you are entitled to a PIP award you would be wiser to ask for a MR and then if needed go to appeal.

What you must do if you have not done it already is look at your claim and re-work it to show which descriptors you fit and give reasons why.
  • Bill1967
    Thank you everyone, have taken your advice on board and will certainly seek legal advice..phoned PIP today who assured me that the statement of reasons has been wrote up and is awaiting to be typed up by a typist..it will be then sent to the panel member who cuducted my appeal tribuneral and if they decide anything else needs added, it will then be sent back to a typist then forwarded to me..I do hope I get a proper chance to describe how my illness's affected my daily life..but for one of the reasons that I lost points is that I could talk to them directly..even though i cryed all the way through my face to face and my first tribuneral which was put back as the doctors notes wher'nt recieved in time..icmust add in my face to face i recieved 0 points and they said i was calm all the way through..and was able to make eye contact which was a lie..so i was determined to go to tribuneral to tell my storey..which because of nerves i didnt exactly get to do..i also suffer and am on medication for depression & Anxity which they said my doctors records showed no record off..how are you meant to win with these people ??

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.