Housing Question — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing Question

Options
Sasha08
Sasha08 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello, 
I have Aspergers and I would like to live independently, I can just about afford Private Rented Housing and I have been looking. I spoke to an estate agency today who advised because I was disabled I can received a money source to pay for my deposit. I have never heard of such a thing and I was wondering if anyone can please provide advise on this.

I currently have PIP - Daily Living Enhanced and very little Universal Credit. 

I look forward to received replies

Sasha/x

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Sasha08 and welcome to the community

General information on getting help with the deposit can be found at https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/renting-privately/private-renting/get-help-with-renting-costs/

May I ask has anyone gone through with you the various costs and additional help that might be available to you? I am just a little bit concerned where you have put you can just about afford it. 

As you are on a low income you should get help with the rent, but if you are under 30 there are a number of rules and limits to the help you can get, just as you can get lower council tax if you are living on your own. 

There is a good benefit calculator at https://www.entitledto.co.uk where you can check if you are getting the right benefits. Similarly if you know what rent and council tax you are likely to pay this will show what additional help you would be entitled to.

Scope have a fantastic help line, who can help you, or you can email them if you prefer, 0808 800 3333 or helpline@scope.org.uk or if you prefer face to face contact your local CAB or legal centre should be able to provide you with help.

I hope you get things sorted and wish you luck in your new home when you find one.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Sasha08
    Sasha08 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hi @Geoark
    Apologise for the late, late reply.
    I can get help with a private rented house but a lot of landlords do not accept Housing Benefit claimants, I also have a cat and a lot do not accept pets.

I have applied to my local housing for social housing but I left for my own safety last time so it has put me of. I have applied for 'Regenda' homes but I am yet to hear anything from them and it's been nearly a month.

I work part-time currently, I am claiming Universal Credit but my claim has been handled so poorly i've put in three complaints to DWP so far. 

I am very good with money as my mum assists me and I have lived independently previously so  I am aware of bills etc.

Kind Regards

Sasha 
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Sasha08 no worries about the delay in replying.

First tenancies often fail for a number of reasons. Unfortunately one thing we can rarely guarantee is what our neighbours or the local area will be like. 

Regarding Regenda, I would recommend contacting them to find out what is happening with your application. 

I have not had personal experience with UC but as it is managed by the same people who dealt with JSA there can be a huge difference in experience depending on the person you get. Some of the stories I have heard have left me perplexed. My daughter who has Aspergers got a part time job after leaving Uni signed of immediately as she was earning too much to get anything and did not want anything to do with them. It has always been the aim of UC to focus on part time workers and to 'encourage' them into full time work. Although she does get the option of plenty of overtime, which she often does, I honestly believe one reason she still has the job is because she has enough down time to recover. She seems to have found a good balance for her between working, time with friends and time on her own to do her own thing.

Anyway, good luck and hope you find a new home for you and the cat soon.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness