Hospital — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hospital

cripps
cripps Community member Posts: 412 Pioneering
ok I’m really nervous ?, I’ve got the hospital again on Wednesday to see my consultants and I’m going to have a really hard time trying to tell them about the problem I’m having with my stomach. I hate eating because the pain and discomfort that goes with it, I’ve tried doing everything they’ve told to do but nothing means to work and i could really do with sorting this out but the problem i have is trying to explain the problem and trying to ask for help. They always seem to back me in a corner and send me away with more pills but it’s not pills i need it’s the massive problem with my stomach. Any suggestions please help I’m so anxious and nervous I’m working myself in a mess. NC

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello, crops, only my opinion but you must tell the doctors ,consultant exactly what your pain discomfort is what brings it on, starts or sets it off. Is it food related, fried boiled hot cold you know what triggers your problem keep a dairy of what you eat time of day what medication you take with the food before or after, maybe you should have a word with your pharmthist about your medication can you take all your morning meds all in one go or should you stagger them? Good luck. 
  • cripps
    Thank you, to be honest the whole thing is a nightmare, my medication also because i have to start really early, the first one starts about 4 in the morning and the last one finishes about 11 at night , between myself and my consultants this is the only way it’s going to work so between you and i i get very tired in the day. Looking at the whole situation it’s a road to disaster I’m just going to end up popping but thanks for your concern. 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cripps
    Im sorry to hear you are having a tough time, do you have anyone who could come with you to support you at your appointment?

There is some information here about advocacy services in the NHS though there may not be enough time to sort this before your appointment.

Can you write down all the things you want to discuss so you can read it to them? 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Sam_Alumni
    Ive just realised that your appointment would have been yesterday! Apologies for that!!

How did you get on?
    Scope
  • cripps
    Hi, i went to my appointment and as usual it was a disaster, my consultants weren’t even there was it was a day totally wasted. I’d built myself up with questions that needed answered and it all came tumbling down. The consultant that was there apologised and told me she would do her best to get me to see my consultants a.s.a.p, when that will be nobody knows. So at the moment I’m back to square one feeling absolutely tired with no hope. 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Im sorry to hear that, but it is good to hear that the consultant seemed to take it seriously and hopefully they will get you in ASAP!
    Scope
  • cripps
    I understand that but after sitting around for over an hour waiting to see my consultants and with them knowing i was there i do think someone should had told me they weren’t around so i could have gone home a lot earlier than i did. From being out from 1.30 to not getting home till 9.00 at night it was a very long day. I’ll know better next time because I’ll take my medication with me because that’s one thing i did need and not having it i was getting very anxious and tired. I love the NHS and so may they reign for a long time but really sometimes it needs a kick up the bum. 
  • paraplegic
    paraplegic Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    my pet hate with hospitals is their support services. I have a hospital appointment later this month. nobody has told me I need an ambulance to get there and as a 78 year old person it shouldn't be assumed I'm capable of doing it myself. my parents couldn't have done it. I regard the ambulance service as useless. anyone who doesn't think a 95 year woman lying on the floor is not an emergency has a screw loose.

• cripps
    I see what you mean, i myself have used the ambulance ? services and to be honest I’ve not done too bad but one thing that does get me is why do the patient ambulance not start till 8.00 am , I’ve had to be at different hospitals first thing and the travel distance is over 60 miles away, so with that I’ve had to make other arrangements and try and get all my medical equipment in a car. They really do need to sort that side out. 
  • cripps
    I know I’ve had a little mone about the NHS but on the other side i do love them and the nurses also the doctors work so hard, if it wasn’t for my consultants i wouldn’t be here now. 

Brightness