PIP2 Questi 14b — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP2 Questi 14b

Options
Gaina
Gaina Community member Posts: 133 Pioneering
edited May 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Do forgive me if this has been asked before, but am I right in thinking that if a person cannot walk at all, they should tick 'no' for Q14b 'Do you need to use and aid or appliance to walk'?

It seems to me they've got Q14b and 14c wrong way round!  Surely it would have made more sense to ask about wheelchair use first then 'if yes, got to 14d'?

Comments

• markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    Options
    The DWP class wheelchairs as aids the same as walking frame or stick
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The question is correct, it asks do you need an aid or an appliance to walk, you answer yes or no. Then they ask what do you use, the chosse is not listed but could be one of these, walking frame stick crutches wheel chair mobility scooter you give them the item or items you use.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hope @BenefitsTrainingCo might post an answer to this question.

I'd say that wheelchairs and mobility scooters are not aids to walking because they don't help you to walk; they help you to get around on wheels.  PIP points are awarded for ability to walk certain distances, not for getting around on wheels.  However, having to use a wheelchair or mobility scooter would be strong evidence that you are unable to walk at all, or hardly at all.

Scope Helpline might be able to answer this question.
  • Gaina
    Gaina Community member Posts: 133 Pioneering
    Options
    Thanks everyone. 14b does give examples of what they mean by a walking aid, and mentions walking specifically in the question.  If they'd just stuck to what's currently 14c about any device needed to move around safely it would save a whole heap of confusion! *head-desk*.
  • markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    Options
    Sorry  Matilda you are wrong as far as PIP is concerned wheelchairs are classified as an aid ,not for walking but how you get from A to B 
    On my tribunal statement of reasons it states that i can walk up to 15 metres and then have to use a wheelchair or mobility scooter as an aid

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.