Finding it hard to stick to gluten free diet due to fibromyalgia — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Finding it hard to stick to gluten free diet due to fibromyalgia

Options
Sassenach
Sassenach Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I have Fibromyalgia and Coeliac Disease I find it so hard to stick to a gluten free diet. I have some really bad days with the Fibromyalgia and cannot stand long enough to cook a meal which means I usually end up making a sandwich with ordinary bread as Gluten free bread is disgusting. I buy ordinary bread for my family, so it’s always in the house. Can anyone advise me on a way to help me stick to the GF diet. I have no willpower left. I am also suffering from depression and anxiety. Sorry to waffle on. 

Comments

• Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Hi @Sassenach, welcome to the community!

Would you be able to make big batches of suitable food and freeze some for days when you can't cook? A slow cooker can be useful as you don't have to tire yourself out by constantly checking it.

It's great that you've come on here to get some support - you're not waffling on at all, we're happy to help :) Are you getting any help and support in regards to your mental health?
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Sassenach Understand the issues here I think the best thing is to compile a list of foods that you do like.

Do understand with this dietary needs you have about eating gluten. Have you consulted the Coeliac Website.  I would look at that for ideas and stimulation.

Lots of the information there will be helpful. I am not a suffer just know with all these issues. There is always a website, then start to see how and when could freeze any.

I am disabled and have a mental condition. Yet I know my disability makes me sometimes hard to stand and use knives so use Kitchen equipment.   Food Processors, Slow cookers and Blenders. Have problems mentally some days as well. So have to adapt my food for the disability and illness I have.

On a good days make a batch of my favourites and freeze. Soup is a good one. You probably as I have said consult a dietician. Sometimes advice from others can help the self esteem.

Small steps.   Beat of luck to you and remember you can do this.

Plenty of support please can I ask. Are you receiving any. Sometimes all of us need to say please can you help me. If you are suffering, by way . You not waffling on.

Genuine people in our community who care.  Like myself.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Sassenach
    Options
  • Sassenach
    Options
    I just have pills from the GP but I have self referred to a councillor as I feel I really need someone to talk to. X

Brightness