Mental health - refused PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mental health - refused PIP

dee2110
dee2110 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited May 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I recently applied for pip payment but was refused i then asked for mr And was still refused My reasons for claiming pip is all mental health, I find it difficult to speak to anyone in depth about my situation as I’m ashamed I was abused at 8 yrs old, up till 11 years old then my mum got with another man who within a month also started abusing me Now in adulthood, I’m very hateful to myself I can’t be around Others as I feel they are talking about me and judging me Or even think they might know, I don’t feel health professionals are helping me, at the same time, I find it hard to tell or even explain my childhood. As if I have to talk about it all I do is cry. I do often wish I would go sleep and just not wake up! I started drinking at 22 so I attend CGL group sessions “booze talk” I have a support worker at the women’s centre, who knows some of my story but not all as I said earlier I find it difficult to talk about it! 

Comments

• Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    Hi @dee2110, welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear that you're having a tough time with PIP. Are you going to appeal the decision? If you are, you might find it useful to get face to face support from an organisation like Citizen's Advice. We do also have information about appealing a DWP benefits decision on our website, including some resources on tribunals. You may find the following videos of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67tDSlsityY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIHjSpNNbQo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WEvbFVlQOc 

It's great to hear that you're getting support from the women's centre and your group sessions. It must be hard to feel that health professionals aren't helping - do you mean that the treatments/support aren't working for you, or that the professionals themselves aren't acting in a way that will help?

I'm glad that you feel comfortable talking to us on here, and I hope that we can be a good source of support.

• dee2110
    dee2110 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I’ve refused medication my doctor prescribed as the pills just made me sluggish and lazy I could not seem to get out of bed!
    i am waiting for psychiatrist appointment for treatment but obviously they have a waiting list I have been diagnosed anxiety and chronic depression, but I feel seeing a psychiatrist may help. I have had councilling a few years ago, but don’t feel was of any help.
    i also find it really difficult talking about stuff as I feel others can’t be bothered being bored with my problems!
    i also find it difficult to talk to my boyfriend. I don’t want him to be ashamed of me
  • Lasian_Alumni
    Hi @dee2110

Fingers crossed that you can get an appointment soon!

It can be very difficult to talk to people, especially if it's something that you have dealt with for a long time on your own.

If the people that you have around you are supportive and trustworthy, I doubt they would want you to go through everything thinking that they wouldn't support or would be ashamed. However, you're the expert on your situation and the most important thing is looking after yourself and keeping yourself safe. I hope that we can be a safe space for you to talk :)

You're doing so well by trying to get the help that you need - that can be really hard to do, and is definitely something to be proud of!
  • Lasian_Alumni
    If you ever do need to speak to someone, you can also contact the Samaritans:

Telephone: 116 123 (UK) or 116 123 (ROI)
    Email: jo@samaritans.org
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Hi @dee2110. I understand some of what you're going through. I, too was abused as a kid/teenager. My MH has always been bad, but it's only now, in my 40's, that I'm beginning to understand how much of my MH trouble is due to the abuse. 

I'm not sure that you have to tell anyone about it, at least not for PIP. They don't really care WHY you have MH problems - they just care HOW those MH problems limit your function in every day life. If you can write more about that, and get any medical evidence about that, that would really help. 

For example:
    I cannot prepare and cook a simple meal more than twice a week. On 5 out of 7 days, my anxiety is so high that I cannot use knives or the hob because I'm terrified that I'll hurt myself. I have hurt myself in the past (give examples).

Make sense?

In terms of telling your psychiatrist, or GP, or a counsellor, could you perhaps write them a note? It could say, "Here are the things that happened to me that I've already told you about. I want you to know that there are more things like this, but every time I try to talk about them I cry. I don't know how to talk about this, and I'm scared to try."

Think that might be useful?

*virtual hugs, if you want them*
  • groovymama70
    groovymama70 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi Waylay, your reply to dee2110 has helped me to understand some of the questions a bit better, like how many times a week I cook, which is not very often, some weeks I survive on a bowl of cereal a day and as for washing/showering, well I'm embarrassed to say this but it can be days and such an effort and I think well why bother at all, not gping to make me feel better is it...!! The questions about how far I can walk etc confuse me a bit because I can but don' want to, no motivation, very rare I go out of house except for appointments and only if someone takes me, do I put all of this in...?? 
  • groovymama70
    groovymama70 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi dee2110, I understand totally how your feeling, I went through exact same thing as a child (age 11-13) various people and it wasn't till I've gotten older that I've realised that it was abuse. I have attempted suicide 4 times over the years, first time when I was 13, I'm not getting anywhere with doctors etc for counselling very frustrating isn't it hun......I feel embarrassed too like you do ?
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    @groovymama70 Glad I could help! 

First Mobility Question (Planning and Following Journeys): This one is about sensory problems (blindness, etc.), learning disabilities, developmental problems, mental illnesses, and cognitive problems (dementia, confusion, etc.). Your motivation problems would fit here.

Btw, don't use "want"; use "can" and "can't". If you put "want", they may assume that you can, but you're... Lazy? Antisocial? Who knows.  

Second Mobility Question (Moving Around): This one is about your physical ability to stand and move. They want to know how far you can move without severe discomfort (breathlessness, fatigue, pain, etc.), and before you need a rest (a few minutes or more). 

An extremely useful document can be found here:  https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-(Part 2). 

Note the Definitions in Section 2.5. They use very specific definitions for common words, so make sure you know what they're asking! These apply for all of the questions.

Another extremely important bit is Section 2.2, which applies to all the questions too. Basically it means that if you can't do an activity reliably, you can't do it that day. Reliably means safely, to an acceptable standard, repeatedly, and in a reasonable time period. Definitions and examples are in the document.

Section 2.1.7 is also very important if your condition(s) are variable. 

Actually, the whole document is important! Go through the whole thing. :)

Hope that helps!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.