When Universal credit roles out in your area you no longer can claim any disability premiums — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

When Universal credit roles out in your area you no longer can claim any disability premiums

wideyes
wideyes Community member Posts: 18 Connected
I am extremely confused can anyone help me ?

i receive ESA contribution support group rate £118.50 per week
 NO ESA income related premiums 

housing benefit council tax benefit 

higher rate DLA lower rate care 

They are roling out Universal Credit in my area June 18.

i was told today by a Scope advisor today that I will not be able to get a response from DLA review within a month before Universal credit comes in and if I am awarded PIP middle rate care that entitles me to a premium with ESA income support 

if I do not get my claim in for ESA income support before End of this month then I will never be able to claim any disability premiums via ESA income support 

That means many disabled people on current DLA lower rate care who have not yet been invited to claim PIP will miss out on claiming disability premiums when Universal credit is rolled out in your area 

This government are making sure disabled people go without without without !

to add to my situation I have a Discretionary trust which causes more complex problems 

has anyone out there experienced this situation ?

Comments

• whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Are you going live or full service? 

When did you send in your pip application?

To quote you-
    "That means many disabled people on current DLA lower rate care who have not yet been invited to claim PIP will miss out on claiming disability premiums when Universal credit is rolled out in your area" 

This isn't true. If these people do not qualify for standard care then they lose the standard care amount.
    If they do qualify the money stays the same as they have had when in DLA.
    Not everywhere is full service, most this year will be live.
    Being live means you cannot have a change before migration. So there will be people out there who will lose their premiums due to that change. 

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • wideyes
    edited May 2018
    I have not claimed Pip yet as I am on indefinite DLA but would like to claim new pip ASAP so if I receive middle rate care it should permit me to claim ESA income support to acquire a premium. I have checked online and my area is NW8 London 

you might like to help me here to check this but a scope advisor today told me to claim ESA income support Now before UC is rolled out .

once rolled out I cannot claim so I was advised to get my claim 
    in now and await for when I am invited to be assessed for pip 

or I could prompt situation by asking them as I genuinely do have s serious change in my mobility requiring live in care as from June 6 major surgery being my third to operation to open me up to see what is causing so much pain 

Surgeon suspects my hip replacement 2 Yrs ago ( muscles not grown back to bone )

i cannot climb stairs run dance . I also have nerve damage from surgery and very poorly 

to add to this I am a primary beneficiary and trustee of a Disabled trust which will no doubt cause a lot of contention with my local council.

thr trust funds do not belong to me and I am not the only beneficiary 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,045 Disability Gamechanger
    The amount of ESA that you're claiming is more than the Contribution based ESA amount, which is currently £110.75 per week. You say you're claiming £118.50 per week?

Did you transfer from Incapacity benefit and do you live with a partner that works?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wideyes
    No partner I live on my own aged 61

i was on iv benefit and transfered 2013 October however I receive a top up element so my benefit is £73.10 basic living allowance 
    £36.    Due to illness support group 
    £9 top up 

I have learnt from a journalist DWP CAB campaigner Nick Dilworth ( google his name ref: template letter )

you will read his template letter 

the DWP made a huge blunder transferring us over to ESA . They deprived thousands of claimants from income related esa 

when I was in iv benefit I got free dental treatment . However on esa contributions support group you cannot get free dental treatment one has to claim for free dental treatment using HC2 and HC1 forms which really we should not have to do

Thousands of ESA Contribution based claimants are claiming arears compensation from DWP from £5000 To £20.000 !

the DWP are not going to freely give in to these arears compensations claims so if you have been affected I would seriously see a Welfare benefit solicitor or ask Scope for advice and make a serious claim against the DWP which I am going to do !
  • whistles
    If you are on ESA IB.
    I would check your forms because that £9 could be an IR top up. 

I didn't think income support existed anymore?? Does it.
  • wideyes
    Your are correct it is an IR top up thank u . But should it be means tested or not ? 
  • whistles
    Esa IR is. But I don't understand what that actually means.
    Sorry.
  • wideyes
    All I know is I worked for years and I was on Invalidity benefit . They transfered me to ESA support group contributions based as I had paid up to date my National insurance stamp .

They transfer you if you worked and became ill on Invalidity benefit to ESA Contribution based as I was working previously paying my NI contributions . By the DWP paying me ESA contributions type benefit it means that when I reach my pension age 66 in 2023 I will receive state pension 

I have never claimed income support ever !

or any income related benefits 

All I know is they transfered people who had worked and paid their national  insurance contributions up to date to ESA contributions support group 

however it now transpires that my housing benefit will soon be paid end of June not by my local council but DWP called Universal credit and because I receive support group ESA and DLA high rate , my universal credit that will pay my housing benefit should not be affected .

however my health has deteriorated past two years after 2 major surgeries affecting my mobility and care 
    i now have to claim Income related esa before end of June and hope that when I ask to be reassessed for PIP if awarded re care rate required , because I placed my income related ESA request in before Universl credit comes in , they should pay me premiums re my level of care requirements 

in other words all ESA claimants in receipt of support group benefit contribution based , cannot claim disability premiums once Universal credit comes in if their health deteriorates requiring more care .

thr government are playing a game called roulette !

you have to be ten steps ahead of them and up to date with all the new benefits 

I have a link to a benefits site that clearly guides you how to claim ,

the new style ESA !

we all have to be reassessed for the new style ESA if on Contribution based support group 

once universal credit roles out fully in your area you will need to be reassessed for either

new style ESA to claim sick benefit 

and universal credit for housing benefit 

otherwise you may find you are being paid universal credit only which could be means tested !

it is a minefield and very unfair for all of us whose health deteriorates 

they are going to reassess us for new style ESA and Universal credit 

the DWP will have say in how much we get paid being rent council tax and sick benefit all wrapped up in one payment .

so my advice would be to get clear concise advice from SCOPE re all of this and get someone to help you otherwise we all will be beaten by the reduction of premiums if our health deteriorates 

we all need to ensure that we are on top of benefit changes and be well
    ahead of their game !

as soon as you know Universal credit is being rolled out in your postal code ensure if you are not on income related ESA to apply well before roll out of universal credit because after roll out one is stuffed basically re getting more financial support 

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    I thought that you would continue to get disability premiums while you were on ESA, but not when you switched to UC?
  • whistles
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Universal-Credit-timetable/Universal-Credit-(UC)-roll-out-2018

Rolling out UC is going live- new claimants will be either
    New style ESA (was ESA CB or UC was ESA IR)

I don't see why you are telling people to claim ESA IR to get the premium because it's being replaced with UC which doesn't? 
    There is "meant" to be transitional protection but I think from previous discussions it looked as if those were getting the benefits frozen so the non premiums could catch up.

• wideyes
    From what I seem to interprete you may be correct but only if you remain on esa support group or esa income related with disability premiums in place prior to universal credit 

if you do not have disability premiums in place before universal credit comes in you cannot acquire them anymore 
  • wideyes
    Sorry you have misinterpreted me 

i was told by a Scope advisor yesterday ,

because I receive ESA support group Contribution based I should claim as well income related esa before universal credit is rolled out to get disabled premiums 

I will ensure to claim new style esa replacing my current ESA Contribution based but also be in receipt of income related ESA as well 

are you saying if I do this I could be placed in universal credit group only ?

• whistles
    And if at any stage you lose your standard care you won't get it back either. 
    They will cut money off everyone somewhere. That's the intention.

I won't get my premium back. But to be totally honest ( and a little weird) I'm glad they are scrapping it.
    Not for those who genuinely do need that extra but for those who  know how to work the system to get it and to stop others feeling hard done by because ESA CB don't get it. 

• wideyes
    edited May 2018
    Would you be so kind to give me your contact tel number ?

[phone number removed by moderator]

you have got me worried now ! 
    Are you saying if I do not get 8 points for standard care when I ask to be reassessed from DLA to PIP , then I would lose income related premiums if awarded via income related esa ??

• wideyes
    I had a hip replacement 2016 left me with serious nerve damage cannot feel my left foot which affects my mobility . Had Neurosurgery 7 months ago to decompress nerve to try and reduce sensation of my ankle feeling as if in a tight vice !

59/59 chance of success . It failed 
    then I started a pain ful swelling under hip surgery scar site . I suffered a serious fall 10 days post surgery when in care home 

so I found a surgeon after being fobbed off by the NHS Orthopaedic hospital that could see something was seriously wrong . 

The pain meds have affected my hair and it is falling out !

hr needs to open me up June 6 to see what is going on . If he can find enough quality tendon to sew back muscles that became detached from thigh bone after hip surgery , he will repair 

the recovery is slow one year on 2 crutches 3 months no Physio immobilised with everything done for me .

Surgeon cannot do this Nhs until next year so I am having to raise £25.000 !

£ 1000 surgeon surgery fee 
    £860 anaesthetist 
    £11.000 Private London Clinic fee 4 days in patient 

plus live in carer as bloody Westminster social services will not fund live in and tell me my GP should organise Nhs care home bed 

that is like striking gold with his practice !

So I think I deserve after going through all of this pain suffering support from our government after all I worked paying my taxes for years !

Never knew what social housing was until I fell ill with M.E chronic fatigue after shingles 1988 

I have pending further surgeries as well for a prolapsed bowel and a Septorhinoplasty which I had to cancel end of this month as my hip takes priority 

I happen to be seriously unwell and I have NO family support .

a brother who is a millionaire who does not understand how we have to live and will not help me financially 

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    @whistles Rates of fraud in ESA and PIP are both <1%. The number of people getting premiums fraudulently is miniscule.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    @wideyes

you said: the DWP will have say in how much we get paid being rent council tax and sick benefit all wrapped up in one payment .

Please be aware that UC does not pay council tax, this still has to be applied for through your local council.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• wideyes
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @wideyes

For your own safety, I have removed your postcode and your telephone number. It's important for us all to stay safe online, you can read more here.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • wideyes
    Sam 

did you receive my long text ? 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.