Gardeners — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Gardeners

Options
paraplegic
paraplegic Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I seem to be having a  problem getting someone to kill the weeds on my gravel patch garden. I've started to call tradespeople, and I haven't advertised my disability, but all I'm getting is rejection.

Comments

• Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Options
    This is typical of gardeners. I'd been through 6 before I found a really excellent one.
    Most of them don't want hard work. They just want to mow lawns for stupid amounts of money.
    My county council has a "trusted trader" web page where they are also marked for their performance. It worked for me.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @paraplegic Pleased to meet you. Please can I suggest you look for the weed killer you need.

Look on Garden websites.

Ask some one like a neighbour or a friend to do it for you.

Understand tradespeople will not come. Not worth the cost.  You have to realise the days are gone. Of ringing up some one to help now.

Think of this you are the tradesman. Bottle of weed killer then your costs of the fuel and time to get there to your house.  Would you do it?

Gardening is the big money earner and also now a target for scamming vulnerable people in our community.

Sorry to frighten you but it is true.  Just be careful.  There are websites that advertise gardening services.  Vetted by Councils and Associations.

Even those will charge a lot.

Found a gardener local. In the past had another gardener. Who did my lawn for a high fee. Anything else charged me. Costs spiralling.  Example dig and weed £10 plus on top of the cutting the lawn. Did ask for advice on green house.

Thought entered a solicitors office.  By the hour. Like getting blood from a stone. So me being me. Thought right you charge me for everything. Understand this even charged me. Invoice for taking cuttings and rubbish away.

So I charged him for tea and biscuits plus the cost of using my toilet the soap and the sandwich he asked me for.  Made an invoice there you go.  His face and the looks.

End of the gardener and he was gone.  All I can say just be very careful. Once people might know you want gardening done might start to target you.

Believe me been there so many times. Have trees with overhanging branches costs ringing around very expensive.

I am on benefits. Had one lad visit. Cost into nearly three figures into the hundreds.

Hope you find a solution but it is worth the hassle. That is your choice.

Nice to meet you

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Can you ask friends and family for recommendations?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness