Just received my PIP from DLA letter — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Just received my PIP from DLA letter

worriedgill
worriedgill Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited May 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I've been on the higher rate mobility DLA for over 10 years. I was on the indefinite list, but today I've got a letter telling me that my DLA is stopping, and if I so wish to apply for PIP. I've made the call and put my application in. But I'm so scared now I'm going to end up with nothing. I have severe arthritis in both knees. Had one partial knee replacement and I'm on the waiting list for my other knee doing. I've arthritis in both hips and my fingers. I'm getting ESA but I'm so scared if I don't get PIP they will stop that as well. My daughter leaves full time education this year, so my child benefit and child tax will also end. Any tips on how to keep my sanity? 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @worriedgill   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Please thank you for sharing.

I am in the same position as your good self. Got a letter about stopping DLA have to apply for PIP.

Have you read and seen our posts on PIP. I know I have been looking myself.

All I can say is to when the form arrives make sure. You get help and support.  Understand either to fill in the form. I always have some one fill in the form. Have done for the last twenty years plus on and off.

Keep the information relevant. What are you like on your worse day. That all I can say and also make the information precise and clear.

You can contact the local CAB if having problems.  Plus have to speak to welfare rights for anything else.

Especially at assessments have some one with you.   Especially if they are supporting you.

I know you are anxious so are a lot of the community to go through this. Always have a look at any of the posts on mental health.

Plus look at Talking about Specific Conditions.  Advice and information.

Understand what you are going through have been there myself so many times.

I am sure the community can give extra advice and information.

May be one of the team can advise as well.

Take care

Best wishes hope you get a successful outcome.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Try to get f2f advice from CAB or similar.

Disabilty Rights UK site has a good guide to claiming PIP including a draft diary you can adapt. Good idea to include a 7 day diary with your PIP claim.  List all the aids you use both in your claim and in your diary.

PIP points are awarded not for your conditions themselves but for how they affect your daily living and mobility.

You can ask for a two week extension to submit your claim.
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Are you in receipt of ESA CB or ESA IR with any premiums?
    I could be wrong- but isn't the mobility part of the DLA connected to the ESA premium?

Do you receive housing benefit, you might qualify for help with this.

Is your daughter leaving home or getting a job. She will be paying rent to you wouldn't she? 
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    whistles said:
    Are you in receipt of ESA CB or ESA IR with any premiums?
    I could be wrong- but isn't the mobility part of the DLA connected to the ESA premium?

Do you receive housing benefit, you might qualify for help with this.

Is your daughter leaving home or getting a job. She will be paying rent to you wouldn't she? 
    It's not the mobility part of and disability benefit that entitles a person to the premiums, it's mid/high rate care DLA or daily living PIP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I've been on the higher rate mobility DLA for over 10 years. I was on the indefinite list, but today I've got a letter telling me that my DLA is stopping, and if I so wish to apply for PIP. I've made the call and put my application in. But I'm so scared now I'm going to end up with nothing. I have severe arthritis in both knees. Had one partial knee replacement and I'm on the waiting list for my other knee doing. I've arthritis in both hips and my fingers. I'm getting ESA but I'm so scared if I don't get PIP they will stop that as well. My daughter leaves full time education this year, so my child benefit and child tax will also end. Any tips on how to keep my sanity? 
    Don't forget to send all the evidence you have to support your claim with the PIP form when you return it. They very rarely contact anyone for evidence, the onus is on the claimant to make sure they send all relevant evidence to support their claim. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2018

the onus is on the claimant to make sure they send all relevant evidence to support their claim. Good luck.

I don't dispute that is the most sensible way forward, but I would add that when the PIP legislation was enacted it put the onus of gathering evidence entirely with the assessor/DWP. This was done because with DLA, they had reported many times that claimants didn't send evidence in maybe because they didn't know what to send in. It was such a hit and miss situation.
    In fact the first report into PIP made a point again that the responsibility was with the assessing company/DWP.

Since then the DWP have side tracked the issue and made it clear that they will not carry out that duty. 

The only evidence that the claimant is 'asked' to send in is that that they already have to hand. Clearly the DWP have to state that they do not expect or require you to gather any other evidence including from your GP. But in reality if you don't do it, you cannot expect the right result.

This is another case of the assessing company/DWP choosing not to comply because it would cost money and waste valuable time.
  • littleruthie123
    littleruthie123 Community member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    Hi it's a daunting thing and such a big form so I understand your anxiety .the council have a disability help line for help with filling the form out with you ,or can be done to veer the phone .also you can ask for longer time if your struggling with getting docs letters etc .take your time ,and try and think of your every day problems ,good luck x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.