PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP

Options
murcart
murcart Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited May 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello to everyone, this is the first time I have done anything like this, so please bare with me.
I am going to tell you my story and hope it will help other people.
I have been on the highest rate of DLA for a number of years now and when I received my letter
( following an appeal which I won also awarded the highest rate ) The letter said that I would receive my DLA Indefinetly. I now know that it is not true and that PIP is more of a money saving campaign therefore it is a lot harder to get PIP than DLA.
I personally received a letter today to say that my wife now has to go through a works process
 Letter heading " Helping you prepare for work "  Although she has been my  full time carer
since I went on DLA and a long time before.
I am shortly to have a "Health Professional to visit me for my "Face to Face" consultation, Although I have an awful lot wrong with me and I can no longer fend for myself. I still panicked when we received the letter regarding my wife going back to work and the consultation.
To cut a very long story short after making various phone calls today and my wife talking to various organisations. The help I needed and I am sure it will help most people on this Community site whom have very similar problems.
the Answer is go online and type in   " PIP points System "  please if you don't have a computer
ask a member of your family to do this for you after all this could change your life and give you back something that has wrongly been taken from you or even prepare you for what is coming, it has certainly helped my wife and I today I will let you all know how I get on when the time comes
but at this moment in time I feel much happier.
Also remember The Goalposts have been moved If you loose your 1st PIP attempt PLEASE
 APPEAL . I will be overjoyed if you all let me know what you think about  this find  and also how you get on.
    It is terribly sad to see that we are all Disabled in 1 way or another no longer or never able to work and we are reduced to a points system. Just a number like we have always been A STATISTIC
 PIP POINTS SYSTEM please check it out
                                     MURCART

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @murcart Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for sharing your story. Yes it is important to have some ideas of the points system.

Have you read and seen our posts and threads on Talk about PIP and DLA.

That might interest you.

As a member of our community it is very important that you can get the right information and support.

My advice is always appeal and try to give the assessors clear precise information of how you are. On your worst days.

Having being constantly reminding to have assessments my own self. I understand the situation you are in.  Understand the constant trauma and battles and also the strain and stress.

Also please advise I always suggest have some to speak for you if that is possible.

Could be a support worker or health worker or advocate or welfare rights. Always keep it simple and precise but always make the assessor aware of the problems you are having.

Understand the anxiety of the home visit.

What ever happens we as a community are here to help and give you support much as we can.

Take care, keep in touch.

Always here to listen.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    murcart,

I'm really glad to hear that you've found the information you need to help you understand your entitlement to PIP - and to fight for it if necessary.

About your wife - if she gets income support as your carer, then she will occasionally be called for a 'work-focused interview'. There's nothing to worry about with this process; as long as she attends the interview, it should be fine. It doesn't mean she has to look for work. If she has any complaints about the process though (if she feels that she is being pressurized to look for work, for example), then she should make sure she puts in a complaint - DWP letters often don't explain things very well, & can alarm people.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Options
    @murcart I also highly recommend the members-only guides at benefitsandwork. Costs £20 to join for a year, but it's fantastic.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Waylay said:
    @murcart I also highly recommend the members-only guides at benefitsandwork. Costs £20 to join for a year, but it's fantastic.

But if you can't afford £20? This is my main argument - no one should have to pay for advice or help when asking the government for financial assistance because of a disability or sickness.
    I could afford it but I will not allow others to make money out of me because I am disabled.
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Options
    @Yadnad I know what you mean, but the guy who runs the site is disabled, and he's on the forum for hours every couple of days, answering tons of questions. He also writes the guides, with help from others. He can't afford the costs of maintaining the site, paying for internet, etc., so he charges £20. Seems reasonable to me. 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Waylay said:
    @Yadnad I know what you mean, but the guy who runs the site is disabled, and he's on the forum for hours every couple of days, answering tons of questions. He also writes the guides, with help from others. He can't afford the costs of maintaining the site, paying for internet, etc., so he charges £20. Seems reasonable to me. 
    Don't be deceived by what you read. This is a private limited company and after salaries/bonuses etc the company has a healthy bank balance.
    At the end of the day the company is not a registered charity so in affect it trades to make a profit out of which the directors will be taking a good salary.
    If you are happy in giving them your £20 every year whilst the directors are probably holidaying on it in the West Indies then OK. If and I say if it was a registered charity then I would reconsider my views.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.