Health Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Health Assessment

Georgia63
Georgia63 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
Hello I'm new here. Any advice would be welcome. I am on ESA & DLA for systemic lupus which is ment to be indefinitely. My health has been getting worse over the last year and a half and my doc also diagnosed me with fibromyalgia and restless leg syndrome a few months ago. Since then I received a ESA back to work capability form. I sent it back and now have to go for a assessment at Marylebone London. I'm confused why I have to go for one I did have one yrs ago. Does it mean I will lose my ESA.and do I apply for this pip thing. What will this involve. I'm worried as I have no one to go with. My friend has to go on a course and can't get out of it. I don't like travelling out of my comfort zone I suffer with anxiety. Will that force me to work I have chronic pain. Thanks

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Georgia63 and a warm welcome to the community. Good to have you with us.
    I'm not a benefits advisor so will not risk giving you bad advice :smile: We do have well-qualified and experienced people here who will be in touch with you as soon as possible.
    One thing I would say is to try not to worry too much. The press and sites like our own appear to be full of worrying reports about benefit claims, but it is important to remember that it is only the worrying stories that get reported. Good, successful assessments that produce good results do not make the news, and given the number of assessments that are being made things may really not be so bad.
    It's also important to remember that you are no longer alone. However your benefit process progresses, we will be here with the expertise and resources to help and guide you through it.
    You're among friends here.
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
    @JennysDad
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Georgia63, 

Unfortunately almost everyone will have their capability for work reassessed. They normally set the review period between 6 months and 3 years because although some people may get worse, other people may get better. If you have nobody to attend with you, you could ask for a home assessment by sending in a letter from your GP advising that you can't travel to a centre and why, and they'll look at whether they can offer you a home assessment.
    Your ESA and DLA are separate. DLA is changing to PIP and you will be contacted to change from DLA to PIP in the future at some point. 
    You will only lose your ESA if your assessor thinks you are fit for work, or if you fail to attend the hearing without good cause. Good luck, I hope it all goes well for you.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.