Benefit ages — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefit ages

Tricia1912
Tricia1912 Community member Posts: 41 Courageous
I’m a bit confused about the age that PIP ends l thought it was 64. I’m 66 and was told not to apply for  attendance allowance  as it had no mobility allowance. But if PIP finishes at 64 what do l do.lm already on DLA but know l will have to come off this.  

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    As you are on DLA you will automatically be asked to apply for PIP at some point.  All those on indefinite DLA and aged under 65 as at 10April 2013 are affected.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Tricia

The PIP age  limit is for new applications.
    Anyone in receipt of PIP will continue to receive it as long as they meet the criteria
    Anyone on DLA that is invited to apply for PIP at any age will receive PIP as long as they meet the criteria

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Fight4Justice
    Fight4Justice Community member Posts: 63 Pioneering
    edited March 2018
    @CockneyRebel

Could you please clear something up for me? My understanding is that Attendance Allowance is the same as PIP. They both offer £55.65 for Standard and £83.10 for Enhanced. Therefore, for Daily Living, it doesn't make a difference if you lose PIP and move onto Attendance Allowance, as the rates are the same.

I guess the reason to try and stay on PIP is because PIP offers financial support for Mobility needs, whereas, Attendance Allowance specifically states it doesn't. To my knowledge this is the only reason to try and stay on PIP, as if you're in receipt of Mobility PIP at age 64, then the DWP takes PIP away. You should appeal it to get it back. Otherwise even if you did get accepted for Attendance Allowance when you're older than 65, you wouldn't be able to get any financial Mobility support.

My question is basically is the only difference between PIP & Attendance Allowance, from a financial support perspective, the fact that you can get Mobility support with PIP, whereas with Attendance Allowance you can't? Or are there other reasons for trying to stay on PIP instead of Attendance Allowance?
  • Tricia1912
    Tricia1912 Community member Posts: 41 Courageous
    @CockneyRebel
    Hi l am on DLA for my shoulder. At the time l first claimed that l didn’t have mobility issues. Or need the help lm needing now. Neither my husband or myself drive so would you advise me to contact DLA and say my circumstances have changed but would l loose my DLA for my shoulder. Even though it’s long term DLA. There’s so much to consider. If l was knocked back from PIP could l still apply for AA. 
  • CockneyRebel
    The rates for care are the same but AA takes into consideration whether you need help or supervision during the day or night for the lower rate or both day and night for the higher. PIP does not make this distinction, so it may be easier to claim the enhanced rate PIP.

CR
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    The DWP do not take away PIP mobility once you pass 64.  If you are in receipt of PIP mobility at age 64 then you keep it post 65 as long as you fulfil the criteria.  If you have PIP mobility taken away post 65 after re-assessment, then you can appeal and maybe get PIP mobility restored.  However, if on appeal post 65 you lose PIP mobility, then you cannot reapply for it.
  • dottydotty
    dottydotty Community member Posts: 321 Pioneering

I will be 65 in Aug , i lost my Pip award enhanced  care   standard mobility 7th Jan. .   MR submitted 15th January  still awaiting a decision.   .  I am undecided if to  reapply for Pip now  or wait and see if it will have to go  tribunal  stage . Time is not on my side.with regards the mobility component .

• CockneyRebel
    Hi dotty dotty

I would not dare to tell you what t do But I can tell you what I would do in your situation

Wait for the result or MR, if I wasn't happy with the decision then make my case to tribunal. With August in mind, If There was no result by end of july I would then put in a new claim with the knowledge gained and the help of this and other people maybe get a better result.

CR
  • dottydotty

CockneyRebel   Thankyou  for the advice .   It is a stressful & lengthy waiting time . i was initially told I would hear within 6 weeks  of submitting my MR.     Would I be able to apply for PIP in July ?  I thought I had to apply 3 months prior to reaching the age of 65 . Also my assessor adviced a review in 8 years ? as according to him I ihave no functional impairment .  (  9 years on ESA . 4 years on DLA  and 4 years on PIP. )

• CockneyRebel
    As long as you apply befoe you are 65 then the claim is valid. I know it is stress full but we are all here for you

CR
  • dottydotty
    CockneyRebel   Thankyou again.  I will take your advice .         
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Morning CR, missed your postings, glad to read your up and running with Infomation and advice.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Tricia

The PIP age  limit is for new applications.
    Anyone in receipt of PIP will continue to receive it as long as they meet the criteria
    Anyone on DLA that is invited to apply for PIP at any age will receive PIP as long as they meet the criteria

CR
    The age of 65 was originally set because after that age a man would be able to claim the state pension. This was common for both Age Allowance as well as DLA.
    The confusion I have is why then doesn't the age when AA comes into play go up to the new age when the state pension is paid.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.