Appeal for esa — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Appeal for esa

jwood09
jwood09 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
How long does it take to get to court too appeal losing my esa it's been nearly a year thank you

Comments

• gnmeads
    gnmeads Community member Posts: 187 Pioneering
    Hi jwood09 
    I would contact them ASAP. 
    Having said that sometimes it can take a cuple of years 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jwood09, and welcome!

Unfortunately it's common to face long waiting times for appeals. The length of time varies according to your location: you could perhaps try contacting the DWP on the number listed on any of your letters to see if they can give you an update.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi jwood99

You could also try phoning the Tribunal Service admin team and ask them to tell you what month they are currently listing for hearings. In this way, you can gauge how long your case might take to come to hearing stage. 

You can write to the district judge for ask for your case to be listed earlier than in the queue, and for that you have to give a reason why you are in hardship whilst waiting. 

Another possibility is to ask for a cancellation appointment, but then you may not get the 14 days notice of your hearing date that you would normally get. 

Gill_Scope
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi jwood09,

The only way you'll know for sure is by phoning them. I understand that different areas in the country will/may have different waiting times but the waiting time where I work in the West Midlands is just over six months (from the date the appeal was submitted to the hearing date).

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.