esa appeal rates and premiums — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

esa appeal rates and premiums

Options
jollytommy
jollytommy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
currently get high rate mobility middle rate care on dla just had esa review and been found fit for work can anyone tell me how much i will get while waiting on tribunal date many thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi jollytommy

Good to hear from you.

In answer to your question, that will depend upon your circumstance.

You can't get any ESA at all until your appeal has been received and accepted by the Tribunal Service. In other words, the whole time you take to have a Mandatory Reconsideration done - a necessary step before you can appeal -  you won't get any ESA.

Then,once your appeal is accepted, and if you send in, or the DWP has already got, an up-to-date fit note, you would carry on getting your personal allowance (eg £73.10 for a single person over 25, £114.85 per week for a couple), plus any premiums (there are three for ESA, severe disability, enhanced disability and carer premium). You also get the amount for housing costs, be it rent or mortgage interest by way of the SMI loan, that you had before. 

I hope that answers your question. Let me know if you need to ask some more.

Best wishes 

Gill_Scope
    Benefits and Finance Information Specilaist
    Scope Helpline

• jollytommy
    jollytommy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    thanks just got form today for appeal i have not sent in any sick notes for appx 6 yrs so i will need to get one from the doctor when i apply for esa when tribunal has my paperwork is this correct
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi jollytommy

Yes, get the fit note as soon as you can. The DWP will then pay from the date your appeal is accepted.

You can get alternative benefit now,  a short-term JSA claim (only available in non-full-service-universal credit areas - see www.entitledto.co.uk) won't harm your ESA appeal, but be careful about claiming universal credit at this point - once you claim that, you can't come back off it and back onto ESA, even if you win your appeal. 

Best wishes

Gill_Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.