Mandatory Decision result — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mandatory Decision result

Tigermoth42
Tigermoth42 Community member Posts: 243 Pioneering
Hi all, just thought I’d update you on my MR decision which came through yesterday. They’ve changed my PIP from standard rate care only back to enhanced rate of care, but only awarded me standard rate of mobility (I’m off enhanced by 2 points) so I still lose my lifeline car which gets me to hospital and gp appointments, pharmacy and counselling sessions. And all because the assessor decided in her infinite wisdom to ignore the comment I made that I never drive alone and wrote that I drive once every two months. I haven’t driven alone in years, last time I drove was December and that was with my husband who took over as I was getting very stressed and panicky and the pain in my back and legs was awful. I don’t know whether to appeal and risk losing everything but, being on PIP and ESA, I can’t afford to buy a car. It’s a catch 22, damned if you do, damned if you don’t. 

Comments

• lindadenise
    lindadenise Community member Posts: 302 Pioneering
    Well done My MR gave me the same points 8 for care 4 mobility i have gone to sppeal.
    Good luck what ever you decide.
  • jane1973
    jane1973 Community member Posts: 175 Pioneering
    Lots of luck to u I shall be isolated if I have to get rid of my car it’s horrible to lose use last bit of independance
    Hugz to everyone xx
  • Tigermoth42
    Thanks @lindadenise and @jane1973, I went from 8 care to 12 and 4 mobility to 10 so, as I said, I’m just 2 points off enhanced. I’m thinking I will appeal, I think they award you just enough to make the decision really hard. I don’t want to lose everything, but my car is my safety net against the outside world. Keep me posted @lindadenise as to how your appeal is going. How long have you been waiting? 
  • lindadenise
    lindadenise Community member Posts: 302 Pioneering
    Will do @Tigermoth42 it has taken me 3 days to put it all together its very stressful and it takes its toll on you. Good luck if you do appeal they should of awarded you the full 12pts. Keep me posted.x
  • affii1993
    affii1993 Community member Posts: 103 Courageous
    How did you get them to change the discussed they refused me for all after been getting it since the last 4 years
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Tribunal increased my mobility from standard to enhanced and this has happened for many people.  Tribunals are impartial unlike the DWP who just want to reduce benefits.
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Which section of mobility awarded you standard? 
    You can now apply for the blue badge and someone else drives you if it's the moving around?

It's a bizarre system because I got enhanced, they sent all the paperwork re insurance and contacting my local dealer etc. I  cannot drive for medical reasons. So that's cruel Imo-I know it's a standard print off. But still ****! Never had that independence people talk of.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    jane1973 said:
    Lots of luck to u I shall be isolated if I have to get rid of my car it’s horrible to lose use last bit of independance

I know how you feel. I have had three Motability cars taken back (three assessments/re-assessments) in the past five years! I've given up with PIP - too stressful and have to use public transport now.
  • jane1973
    Yadnad said:
    jane1973 said:

I know how you feel. I have had three Motability cars taken back (three assessments/re-assessments) in the past five years! I've given up with PIP - too stressful and have to use public transport now.
    My car is an 05 reg little chevvy matiz i can only drive it on a good day even then its never a long trip, ive been clinging on to this car since it used to take me work and back and i just know wen i let it go because pip has gone and i cant afford insurance and service it on esa alone, if i ever get well enough to go bk to work which would be a miracle i will have lost everything i had built up over the years of working and the dwp say i shouldnt be driving y is there mobility cars? I dont want one i just want to keep  and run my own im so sad
    Hugz to everyone xx
  • Tigermoth42
    Hi @affii1993, I had my PIP reinstated on asking for a Mandatory Reconsideration.

Hi @whistles, I’ve been reassessed at 10 points for standing and moving more than 20m but less than 50m previously I had 12, nothing’s changed, on assessment in Feb they awarded me 4. I was on 4 for needing prompting to undertake a journey, nothing’s changed, but they’ve decided to award 0 this time around. My independence is limited and I struggle so I really feel for you, I can’t believe they sent you all that paperwork, I agree, it’s cruel and unnecessary. Sending you hugs x

Hi @Matilda, I’m weighing up the pros and cons of appealing, it’s  catch 22, damned if you do, damned if you don’t! So happy for you though x
  • Tigermoth42
    Oh @Jane1973, so sad to read your post my lovely, it’s just so wrong, we try and gain a bit of ‘normal’ life and it’s snatched away. The chief exec of Motability is on a salary of £1.7 million and Motability have £2.4 BILLION stashed away. I thought it was a charity to help disabled people, not a money spinner for the privileged few! They actually denied having any ‘spare’ money but it has been uncovered. I think it’s utterly disgusting, they could buy us all a car and still have change! 

Hi @Yadnad, sorry to read your post too, I wish I could do public transport but my social anxiety is just too debilitating. The system seems loaded against those who need it most. 
  • jane1973
    Hi tigermoth42 i hear what you say and it did bring a smile to a worn out face lol ive just finished a years worth of counselling for something that happened to me 20years ago and still feel i need more but its not nhs funded and they have lots of people to help the assessment lady put on the report that my antidepressants are working ??? They obviously cover it well then lol and im on another list waiting for help, where do they get these people from? Do they get a bonus if they reject? I have soooo much to say i keep making these long posts anyway thank you for the smile xx
    Hugz to everyone xx
  • jane1973
    How do u do the name in purple?
    Hugz to everyone xx
  • jane1973
    Hi tigermoth42 i hear what you say and it did bring a smile to a worn out face lol ive just finished a years worth of counselling for something that happened to me 20years ago and still feel i need more but its not nhs funded and they have lots of people to help the assessment lady put on the report that my antidepressants are working ??? They obviously cover it well then lol and im on another list waiting for help, where do they get these people from? Do they get a bonus if they reject? I have soooo much to say i keep making these long posts anyway thank you for the smile xx

Hugz to everyone xx
  • jane1973
    Did it sorry was just experimenting 
    Hugz to everyone xx
  • GizmoTiddles
    GizmoTiddles Community member Posts: 159 Pioneering
    Hi @jane1973

Just put an @ before the name 
    Gizmo 
  • jane1973
    @GizmoTiddles thanx i had just figured it out which is good for me yet i nearly didnt add it before i sent this lol goes straight over my foggy head xx
    Hugz to everyone xx
  • Tigermoth42
    Good morning @jane1973, so happy to read a brought a smile! Life’s so tough sometimes, we need to smile more. Hope you have as good a day as you can my lovely. Hugs xxx
  • jane1973
    @Tigermoth42 y thank u very much u too hVe the best day that is possible xxx
    Hugz to everyone xx

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.