The Dreaded Brown Envelopes — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The Dreaded Brown Envelopes

GizmoTiddles
GizmoTiddles Community member Posts: 159 Pioneering
edited May 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all
I had my first invite to transfer from DLA to  PIP back in early March, just before my 68th birthday having been recieving HRM/LRC since the late 80's.
Had a much help from Scope itself and this forum in form filling and gathering information ,also the B&W forum an self test .
So much info in a short space of time ,medical records so many pointers on what exactly to write.
Had my F2F ,at home after providing a Drs note (did that help ? I don't know)
Anyway assessment by a paramedic ,but who on the face of it gave me a unrushed fair hearing.
Have phoned and asked twice for report , NRY.
BP through the roof while all this is going on .
   So fast forwards to today's mail ,BROWN ENVELOPE ! 
Cuppa herbal tea first,rang a friend to come and open it for me 
RESULT! ..... Enhanced on both components until 2029 . Have had friend read it to me three times.
Had been prepared to go the whole hog up to the appeal process .this time out not needed and if I'm still on planet earth in 2028/9 all the info and more will be ready ...maybe ;)
  So a big thank you to all who post good info on here ,we've never met but THANK YOU .
For all going on the pip merry-go-round don't give up its not your illness that counts it's how it effects you . Good luck on your journey.
Sorry for the long post 
Cheers 
Gizmo

Comments

• Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    That's great to hear, @GizmoTiddles!
  • cobra
    cobra Community member Posts: 36 Pioneering
    Fantastic news @GizmoTiddles
    Hope you can now have peaceful night’s sleep
  • Cazann
    Cazann Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    Congratulations Gizmo.
    I am waiting for a date for my appeal but I think that it will be months away. I too have had good advice on this forum, I just hope that I can get through the tribunal.
    Once again congrats.
  • lindadenise
    lindadenise Community member Posts: 302 Pioneering
    Great news just done my appeal
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi all
    I had my first invite to transfer from DLA to  PIP back in early March, just before my 68th birthday having been recieving HRM/LRC since the late 80's.
    Had a much help from Scope itself and this forum in form filling and gathering information ,also the B&W forum an self test .
    So much info in a short space of time ,medical records so many pointers on what exactly to write.
    Had my F2F ,at home after providing a Drs note (did that help ? I don't know)
    Anyway assessment by a paramedic ,but who on the face of it gave me a unrushed fair hearing.
    Have phoned and asked twice for report , NRY.
    BP through the roof while all this is going on .
       So fast forwards to today's mail ,BROWN ENVELOPE ! 
    Cuppa herbal tea first,rang a friend to come and open it for me 
    RESULT! ..... Enhanced on both components until 2029 . Have had friend read it to me three times.
    Had been prepared to go the whole hog up to the appeal process .this time out not needed and if I'm still on planet earth in 2028/9 all the info and more will be ready ...maybe ;)
      So a big thank you to all who post good info on here ,we've never met but THANK YOU .
    For all going on the pip merry-go-round don't give up its not your illness that counts it's how it effects you . Good luck on your journey.
    Sorry for the long post 
    Cheers 
    Gizmo

Excellent result, but it would help others who may think that your award came easy, to point out that  you carried out a large amount of research together with the costs involved with buying in books and advice .etc.

It is a fact that your reward for that result was based on hard work and time spent.
    It stands to reason that if you know how the system works, how you are best to fill out the PIP2 and you put the hard work in you will succeed. 

Unfortunately many many others are unable to carry out that amount of research and have to go it alone knowing very little hoping that the DWP will see what descriptors should be awarded.

• leannemich
    leannemich Community member Posts: 41 Courageous
    Amazing!! Now relax and enjoy it! Such a relief isn’t it! :)
  • debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Great news GizmoTiddles
    well done.
      Debsidoo.x
  • GizmoTiddles
    GizmoTiddles Community member Posts: 159 Pioneering
    Hi @Yadnad
    Oh yes it was very hard work and I don't do paperwork work at all well.
    On top of that side effects of medication
    I can't hold concentration for any length of time so it was a bit here, a  bit there
     I sought help from CAB,Age UK both negative in help for filling out the pip form.
    I was signposted to my local Scope center and as a one off got help with form filling.V greatfull

But it didn't end there.
    With a little help from my friends
    (Handy song title there  :) !)
    We got  through it.
    I read posts on here and other forums ,following links and getting lost ,and frustrated,depressed , anxious,drunk even .but I've never been a quitter and I drove everybody around me crazy as I wouldn't let it go.
    Drove my Dr's and the Hospital crazy as well .paid for and obtained all my medical records .And together we collated relevent material to back up my illness ,so no dispute there.
    Bought the latest edition of the disability benefits handbook.
    Cross reference the "law" with hearsay it was blooming hard work .
    As a inclusion to Q15 on the pip form we typed up a 7 page document outlining How the illness/medication effects me.in greater detail than what can be written in the relevent spaces per each question.
    Also a list of all appliances ,aids used at home.
    With a whole lot more concise facts in case of an MR.or Appeal

I know others say don't send too much ,but they ,the DM can read it or not ,I had the bit between what's left of my teeth. ?

As for knowing how the DWP system works I didn't as regards PIP. And like others tranfering from DLA finding its a complete diferent animal .
    My illness (I don't class myself as being disabled) is mobility mostly due to chronic OA deep depression because of it,at times .
    But re-learn this new "system" had to be done .
    And I do realise that others on the journey are not so lucky in being able to help themselves as I did.

It is wicked that due to austerity cutbacks help is very thin on the ground for them. 
     In particular I read post's by @Username_removed @CockneyRebel
    @Matilda (from her appeal advice) and yourself ,with a thirst for information relivent to my journey to the DM 
     Now whether all my efforts were to influence the outcome ,I would like to think so .But having to prove myself to some office bod somewhere is wrong ,the system is more than wrong it's broken .
    So the only advice I can give is keep trying ,don't give in ,put some study time in if you can .keep asking questions if need be.

I consider my result as lucky as I was only 2 points over in the daily living ,but I'm not going to argue  and spot on with the mobility. Not going to argue that one either.
    And delighted with the length of award.
    I do hope that many more can also be so lucky 

So sorry for another long post ,but maybe it can help 
    Cheers for now 
    Gizmo 

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • sue66
    sue66 Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Whats also really good is the amount of time you got it for as well.  2029. wow, that was worth fighting for.

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Yadnad
    Oh yes it was very hard work and I don't do paperwork work at all well.
    On top of that side effects of medication
    I can't hold concentration for any length of time so it was a bit here, a  bit there
     I sought help from CAB,Age UK both negative in help for filling out the pip form.
    I was signposted to my local Scope center and as a one off got help with form filling.V greatfull

But it didn't end there.
    With a little help from my friends
    (Handy song title there  :) !)
    We got  through it.
    I read posts on here and other forums ,following links and getting lost ,and frustrated,depressed , anxious,drunk even .but I've never been a quitter and I drove everybody around me crazy as I wouldn't let it go.
    Drove my Dr's and the Hospital crazy as well .paid for and obtained all my medical records .And together we collated relevent material to back up my illness ,so no dispute there.
    Bought the latest edition of the disability benefits handbook.
    Cross reference the "law" with hearsay it was blooming hard work .
    As a inclusion to Q15 on the pip form we typed up a 7 page document outlining How the illness/medication effects me.in greater detail than what can be written in the relevent spaces per each question.
    Also a list of all appliances ,aids used at home.
    With a whole lot more concise facts in case of an MR.or Appeal

I know others say don't send too much ,but they ,the DM can read it or not ,I had the bit between what's left of my teeth. ?

As for knowing how the DWP system works I didn't as regards PIP. And like others tranfering from DLA finding its a complete diferent animal .
    My illness (I don't class myself as being disabled) is mobility mostly due to chronic OA deep depression because of it,at times .
    But re-learn this new "system" had to be done .
    And I do realise that others on the journey are not so lucky in being able to help themselves as I did.

It is wicked that due to austerity cutbacks help is very thin on the ground for them. 
     In particular I read post's by @Username_removed @CockneyRebel
    @Matilda (from her appeal advice) and yourself ,with a thirst for information relivent to my journey to the DM 
     Now whether all my efforts were to influence the outcome ,I would like to think so .But having to prove myself to some office bod somewhere is wrong ,the system is more than wrong it's broken .
    So the only advice I can give is keep trying ,don't give in ,put some study time in if you can .keep asking questions if need be.

I consider my result as lucky as I was only 2 points over in the daily living ,but I'm not going to argue  and spot on with the mobility. Not going to argue that one either.
    And delighted with the length of award.
    I do hope that many more can also be so lucky 

So sorry for another long post ,but maybe it can help 
    Cheers for now 
    Gizmo 

Many thanks for your very informative post. I had a look at your journey from all of your posts and have to say that your determination in everything you did has paid off.

Enjoy the next 10 years.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.