weight loss help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

weight loss help

raymo69
raymo69 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
hello, can i have advice about low carb diets please, i have tried oral stat from the doc no good i used to run marathons and play lots of sports but now suffer with diabetes, chronic back pain, and had a hip replacement as you can imagine i take a few tablets, with all this going on i can`t do much physical anymore i`m now 64 and 19 stone 6ft 4in hope you can help ray graham

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • raymo69
    after my op i managed to get on my bike but not so keen come winter
  • KirstenNutritionAdvisor
    KirstenNutritionAdvisor Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
    In regards to long term fat lose the biggest factor is calories in verses calories out. 

I wouldnt recommend a low carbohydrate diet, we need carbohydrates, they help us feel happy, give us energy and provide us with nutrients. 

What I would encourage you to do is have nutritious sources of carbohydrates with fats and protein to optimally nourish you. 

An example 
    breakfast 
    over night oats
    oats (carbohydrate) mixed with live natural yogurt (protein) with a tablespoon of seeds or nuts (healthy fat) some berries (carbohydrate) 

lunch 
    cold meat meat (protein) and new potatoes & salad (carbohydrate) a teaspoon of oil as a dressing (fat) 

dinner 

salmon (contains protein and healthy fats) basmati rice & steam vegetables (healthy carbohydrate 

-some swaps to help 

Swap refined cereals for oats 
    swap carbonated drinks for water 
    swap sweets for low sugar fruits like berries 
    swap refined carbohydrates like white pasta, bread for whole grain varieties or ancient grains like quinoa

Eating a low GL diet is both the best way to control and reverse ‘type 2’ diabetes, lose weight and lower glycosylated haemoglobin.
    It also helps reduce insulin need in type-1 diabetes. The GL of your diet is also the best predictor of diabetes risk – better than just your sugar and carb intake. 

GL stands for Glycaemic Load. It’s a unit of measurement that tells you exactly what a particular food will do to your blood sugar. Foods with a high GL have a greater effect on your blood sugar, which isn’t desirable. 

Keeping your blood sugar balanced is the concept at the heart of managing type two diabetes. 

The glycaemic load (GL) is based on the glycaemic index (GI). Put simply, the glycaemic index of a food tells you whether the carbohydrate in a food is fast or slow releasing (fast is bad, slow is good). What it doesn’t tell you is exactly how much of the food is carbohydrate. Glycaemic load on the other hand tells you both the type and amount of carbohydrate in the food and what that particular carbohydrate does to your blood sugar.

Id recommend you get some books that explain this concept in more detail so you can manage your weight and diabetes without having to banish carbohydrates. 

Good luck 
    kirsten 

• raymo69
    Kirsten your a gentleman, thanks very much Ray
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @raymo69
    My Mum has bad arthritis and required knee replacements but had to lose 2 stone first.
    Obviously exercise was not really an option as she could barely stand etc.
    She did however manage to lose the weight before the operation.
    All she did was reduce the plate size of her meals, portion control.
    I hope you find something that works for you 
  • feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    edited May 2018
    NVm there is a dietician in this topic lol.Was just saying get your GP to refer you to one. :D

Brightness