planning and following a journey — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

planning and following a journey

Maggie9945
Maggie9945 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited May 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have just received my reconsideration from DWP and once again I am only going to receive the standard rate for my mobility needs as I have a score of 10. I have been given a score of 0 for planning and following a journey, I am confused by this scoring as I walk with 2 elbow crutches and Desciptor 1a uses the term ‘unaided’. My letter from DWP states that this activity only relates to ‘following a journey within causing psychological distress’ - please can someone advise as I cannot follow out a journey without using crutches?

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Maggie9945 Pleased to meet you Welcome.

Thank you for sharing. I am afraid I do not know what the answer is. Some one from our community or the team might know.

Have you looked at our posts and threads on Talk about Specific conditions. Also the posts and threads on Benefits and PIP.

For information and support.

Hope that helps.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    The DWP seem to have targeted everybody on this descriptor, by reducing the points they are able to get more people off enhanced mobility 
    This descriptor is now one of the hardest to get points
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Maggie9945
    There is some information here from the CAB about the planning and following a journey question.

The Turn2Us website says this:

Planning and following journeys is a mobility activity. Add the points you score for this activity with the points you score for the other mobility activity to find out if you may be entitled to the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

When you are looking at how many points you score for planning and following a journey, think about what help you need most of the time to do it:

• Safely
    • Well enough
    • Often enough
    • Fast enough

You score the points for the sentence that is true for most or over half of the time. If more than one sentence is true, you normally only get points for the sentence that is true for the most time. You can only score one set of points for planning and following a journey, do not add them together.

No points

You can plan how to get somewhere, and find your way there, without any help.

Four points

Leaving your house makes you so distressed that you can’t do anything, unless someone encourages you.

Examples of so distressed that you can’t do anything:

• You have an anxiety or panic attack
    • You have a breakdown or meltdown

Eight points

You can’t plan how to get somewhere.

Ten points

You can’t leave the house because it makes you so distressed that you can’t do anything.

You can’t find your way to a new place without someone else, a guide dog or a special aid to help you.

Examples of special aids:

• NOT SatNav unless it is especially for disabled people
    • Cane or white stick
    • Braille map

12 points

You can’t find your way to a place you know without someone else, a guide dog or a special aid to help you.

Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.