UC/ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC/ESA

SOB
SOB Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
If anyone of us who are on ESA now, will we have to apply for UC. My ESA comes to an end soon, after 3 years. So I don't know what will happen next??

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello SOB, you can claim the new style ESA along side UC but you have to download a form and email it in as the people you phone at DWP or job Center don't know much or anything about this.
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Which ESA is coming to an end? 
    Contribution or IR.

Will you not be asked to fill in a form to see if it continues? Coming to an end suggests fit for work? So you would claim JSA/UC?
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    SOB said:
    If anyone of us who are on ESA now, will we have to apply for UC. My ESA comes to an end soon, after 3 years. So I don't know what will happen next??
    When put into a group for ESA they will review you at certain times during your claim. It doesn't mean your ESA is coming to an end until they've made a decision after the review. Before a decision is made you'll be sent more ESA50 forms to fill in and return, with all your evidence. Another assessment may possibly be needed before a decision is made. You can't be found fit for work without an assessment. Your ESA doesn't just stop or end.

This means that you don't need to do anything until you're sent more ESA50 forms, and you money will continue until a decision is made.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • itsmefee
    itsmefee Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    I am on Contributory ESA in a Universal Credit area. My ESA is running along side my claim for Universal Credit. However, they will reduce your Universal Credit by the amount of ESA you receive. 

I would avoid going onto Universal Credit for as long as you can because you will be better off financially under the old system. When my Income Support was transferred onto Universal Credit with Child Tax Credits and Housing, I was over £300 a month worse off than on the old system. 

Basically it is an amount that would cover my rent so not only was I in rent arrears waiting for the payment to be made for six weeks, when I did receive it there was not enough to cover my rent, which was why I applied for it in the first place. 

It would be hilariously funny if it was not so serious.  

• SOB
    Hello to you all,

I have asked for help from C.A.B., but they don't have a clue what is going to happen with UC & ESA. I am in the support group, so from the posts I've read.
    I will end up with less money & It seems clear to me what the Tory gov are up
    too. Taking money off ESA under the new UC banner just to save a few quid!.
  • itsmefee
    Thats what they did to me. I ended up £300 a month worse off on UC than ESA and I am in the Support Group. 

Basically I applied for housing allowance and only ended up £89 a month better off to pay a £360 a month rent. 

I think it is going to be a matter of running up a big debt, filing a Bankruptcy and the doing the same all over again. ? I bet if everyone on benefits did that the Govt would sit up and take notice. 
  • itsmefee
    SOB, you may well be ok because you will end up transferring onto UC naturally and Govt have said that you wont loose out and will stay on the same money. I stupidly applied for Housing Benefit which triggered me being put onto Universal Credit. 

What they have done with me is Given me all the allowances I am entitled to on UC but then deducted from them what I receive in ESA.

On the old System they would not have deducted the ESA. On the old system I got Income Support Top up and Child Tax Credits, they have gone now. 

All the Govt are doing is pushing more people into poverty, this will make honest decent people turn to crime to survive. I can now see why people are forced to do it. 

Very sad times. 
  • SOB
    Thanks for your reply,
    Looks like you have been worrying alot about this, just like me! But for heavens
    sake, don't do anything bad! Don't let the b****d get you down. And that go's for everyone out there!..

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.