Could I get ESA? MArfans Syndrome — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Could I get ESA? MArfans Syndrome

Bal
Bal Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi I was wondering if anyone could possibly help me I have Marfans syndrome and recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and depression and anxiety would I get ESA ?

Comments

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Bal, and a warm welcome to the community. Good to have you with us.

Your question relates specifically to benefits and to ESA, and I'm not qualified to help with that but we have some very good people who are. One of our benefits advisors will be in touch with you as soon as possible, so just bear with us and we will get back to you.
    Hope you have a decent night.
    Here and listening,
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
  • Bal
    Many thanks Richard
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
  • Bal
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community! 

You could try filling in the benefits calculator to see what you could be entitled to.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Bal and welcome

There are two main benefits
    PIP -  for people that need help with daily living activities and mobility

https://www.gov.uk/pip

Have a look at the B&W self test

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

ESA/UC  - for people that are unable to work due to sickness or disability

https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance

Have a look at the B&W self test

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/med2/indexxx.php

There is lots of great info on this site, please have  look around and come back with any questions

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    My partner has Marfan's too
  • Bal
    Hi Waylay I'm sorry to hear that it's not an easy thing to live with with all the complications that arrive with it I hope you partner is keeping well
  • Kelly2912
    Kelly2912 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Dwp do not see marfans has a disability it's the other things that go along with the Marfs I.e bad eyesight painfully joints heart problems and just found my husband fit for work he has arthritis 3.8 anarius .....I'm not marfs myself but hubby children and grandchildren are 
  • Kelly2912
    Kelly2912 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    But yes you can claim esa or universal credits but is hard to get pip 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Bal, 

You could potentially score over 15 points with the daily effects of those health conditions so you may be able to get ESA but it all depends what your other circumstances are. In full service Universal Credit areas, you can only claim ESA C, which looks at the national insurance contribution record over the past two tax years, as well as UC.
    In live service areas you can claim ESA C and/or ESA IR. It also depends on whether you have a partner that lives with you or not and what their income is, so using the benefits calculator as CR said would be the best thing to do, or we could help you more if you gave more information about your circumstances.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• painter
    painter Community member Posts: 52 Pioneering
    Hi Bal, its as Kelly2912 says, depends on the severity of the disease and how it affects you.  I have Marfans and have had lots of probs over the years. I have always worked but was medically retired in 2010.  I am in the Support group of ESA. Still on DLA, awaiting the dreaded letter about change over to PIP.
  • dnh
    dnh Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi I have marfan syndrome I'm 34 had heart surgery at 28 and recently had 4 surgeries on a detached retina which has led to sight loss in one eye.

I get the basic pip but have lost my ESA because my partner is working full-time

It's so hard trying to afford to live on just 300pm and I don't want my partner to have to work to feed and clothe me.

It is really getting me down and I sometimes think what is the point. I worked for 15 years but the problems I'm having at the minute mean I just can't work. I hate feeling like this
  • painter
    painter Community member Posts: 52 Pioneering
    Hi dnh, I do feel for you.  Its not justice the physical problems with marfans but also the emotional.  I was fortunate and worked for many years, some full time some part time until i was medically discharged from my job in the NHS.  How helpful is your GPit does help to have a supportive GP.  I have had heart surgery, stents inserted in abdo karate as surgery would be e extremely complicated due to my severe scoliosis and kyphosis.  Are you you able to drive with your eye problems?  Can you sit and do a sedentary job or retrain.  You say your  ESA Contributory payments have stopped but you are still classed as being unfit for work.  You could ask for your claim to be looked at again and see whether you may be eligible for the Support Group.  If you were to be moved into the Support Group your payments would restart. I suggest you see your GP, read up the criteria for the Support Group, try get as much support and written evidence as possible.  Marfans can make you extremely tired and exhausted. This was one of my problems whilst working.  Hope this helps.  Always here to chat.
  • JudeH
    JudeH Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Painter, do you mind me asking how old were you when you got medical retirment from NHS.? I've worked for NHS for 30hrs but I'm only 48and they say I'm to young to get medical retirement. Dont really understand as I thought medical retjremereis about health not how old you are????

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community, @JudeH! I hope you get an answer to your question- in the meantime, this NHS pensions factsheet may help.
  • Jamesss
    Jamesss Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I have marfan syndrome, I suffer with constant fatigue and pain I don't know if I would get esa I recently received standard pip, does anyone know whether I would entitled to claim esa?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2019
    Jamesss said:
    I have marfan syndrome, I suffer with constant fatigue and pain I don't know if I would get esa I recently received standard pip, does anyone know whether I would entitled to claim esa?
    HI,

I answered your question on your other thread here. https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/54584/help#latest
     You should also speak to your local CAB for a full benefits check. Without any information about your circumstances it's impossible to advise.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.